It turns out, the world of organic milk, including plant-based milk alternatives, is expanding on a tremendous scale. If you are someone who lives and breathes by ‘organic’ or ‘sustainable living,’ this article is for you.
Find below all reasons not to try pesticide and growth hormone filled milk. Also, we have included our top 5 picks to keep an eye out for this year.
Organic Milk Vs Regular Milk
Organic milk has been in the limelight for quite some time now. Wondering how it is more beneficial? Find out below.
- Organic dairy cows that live in open pasture give more nutritious milk. Whereas cows administered with antibiotics and growth hormones and live in confinement are unhappy and stressed. This, in turn, affects the nutrient profile of the milk.
- In the organic milk industry, there are strict regulations regarding feed and pasturing practices. The non-organic milk industry has no such regulations. Plus, you will never know the concentration of antibiotics and growth hormone enriched feed that goes into a cow’s internal system.
- As per the studies, there are profound differences in the nutrient levels of organic and regular milk. It is found that organic milk has 62% higher Omega-3 fatty acids than regular milk.
- Speaking of the vitamins and antioxidants, non-GMO milk contains 50% more vitamin E, 75% more beta carotene and 200-300% more antioxidants.
If you are still on the fence about this debate, you could choose plant-based milk as well. Read about them in the section below.
Things To Avoid In Plant-based Milk
- Thickening agents: They may cause gastrointestinal illness or upset digestion in some individuals. Examples are carrageenan, guar gum, xanthan gum, locust bean gum, and gellan gum.
- Avoid sweetened milk: Considering obesity and the associated health risks, it’s better not to load up on sweetened or flavored organic milk varieties. Instead, choose the non-sweetened versions.
- Glyphosate: It’s a cancerous herbicide majorly used in non-organic farming.
- GMO: Genetically modified corn and soybeans are popular everywhere. To be sure your milk carton doesn’t contain any genetically modified crop, always look for ‘Non-GMO’ labels.
- Pesticides and herbicides: If the plants aren’t sustainably grown, the chances are that they might have a high concentration of harmful pesticides and herbicide residues.
Benefits of Organic Milk
- More Omega 3: You need Omega-3 fatty acids to boost immunity, protect from cardiac disease, cancer, and various other health problems. It has a high Omega-3 to Omega-6 fatty acid ratio, which is essential for heart health.
- High concentration of Linoleic Acid: Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is directly linked to immunity, metabolism, and muscle growth. It also reduces abdominal fat and blood cholesterol. Organic milk contains 500% more CLA than regular milk.
- Chemical-free: It is free of pesticides, fertilizers, hormones, antibiotics, GM feed, and urea.
- Sustainable and eco-friendly: Using harmful chemicals not only compromises milk quality but wipes out numerous flora, microbes, soil nutrients, and grass species. Organic farming practices do not affect the environment and their balance.
- More antioxidants: Organic milk has more lutein and zeaxanthin than the non-organic varieties. These two antioxidants play a key role in boosting eye health.
Reviews: Best Natural Milk To Buy
Whether you’re vegan, or just want to try organic milk, below are our top picks. Also included are organic milk powder and plant-based milk varieties.
- We agree that not all organic whole milk is created equal, but Horizon Organic® milk is a real deal. The cold, creamy whole milk is certified USDA organic.
- Without GMOs, antibiotics, growth hormones, and pesticides, it is completely safe for daily use.
- Available in chocolate and whole regular milk varieties, it has 32 mg DHA Omega 3 fatty acid to support heart, brain, and eye health lactose intolerant? They have lactose free versions as well.
- A single serving offers approximately 8g protein, 30% calcium, and more vitamin D than regular milk brands.
- Pacific Natural Foods makes a lot of plant-based organic milk substitutes, and their almond milk is tasty and healthy.
- If you prefer a naturally delicious, vegan milk, go for this unsweetened almond milk. It has no added preservatives or harmful additives.
- Most of the calories come from real organic almonds. Nutrient-Dense milk also has a good dose of riboflavin and vitamins A & D.
- It has zero cholesterol, trans fat, and fillers. Extremely healthy to add to oatmeal, protein shakes, smoothies, or ice cream. https://organicaspirations.com/?p=3817&preview=true
- It comes in self-stable BPA-free cartons to preserve the taste and freshness. And yes, it is eco-friendly, too.
- If you’re looking for an milk powder that is organic, rBST and rBGH-free, and USDA Grade A Kosher, this is just for you.
- Other reasons to ease your buying decision: it is gluten, GMO, and antibiotic-free as well. On top of it, it is safe for pregnant women and lactating mothers.
- Providing plenty of vitamins D, A, B12, and B2 and minerals like potassium, calcium, magnesium, and zinc, the whole milk is a healthy staple.
- It also contains ‘good’ fatty acids, including CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) and omega-3s.
- If you love whole milk in cooking and baking mixes, this is an ideal option – it is 100% food-grade.
- If there’s one brand that’s synonymous with cashew milk, it is Elmhurst. With a long-standing history of 90+ years in the traditional dairy industry, now they are into 100% plant-based milk.
- With exactly two ingredients – almond and water – Elmhurst Milked Almonds have 5g natural protein from nuts per glass.
- The brand claims the almond milk to have four times more nuts per serving than the competitor brands.
- Zero cholesterol and added sugars make it an ideal choice if you are on a keto diet. It also has plenty of potassium and iron to boost energy.
- Elmhurst brand unsweetened milk is vegan-friendly and is also GMO-, gluten- synthetic flavors- and carrageenan-free.
- Nutrient-rich pure organic coconut milk with no synthetic colors, preservatives and genetically modified organism/practice – that’s what you get in this 13.5 oz milk carton.
- It doesn’t contain any thickening agents like carrageenan, guar gum, or xanthan. So you can use it without worrying about allergic reactions or inflammatory responses.
- You can smell the real coconut flavor when you open the carton. It has no synthetic flavoring agents – only organic coconut and water.
- The creamy goodness is unsweetened, so this organic coconut milk brands makes a healthy addition to your weight-loss diet.
- Speaking of mixability, you can use it in protein shakes, desserts, beverages, baking mix, or even curries.
- It is made from the first pressing of prime organic coconut meat.
- USDA certified organic and natural.
- This premium quality coconut milk is Non-GMO and gluten-free.
- Unsweetened and all-natural.
- A Superfood packed with vitamins and minerals.
- It is certified Organic and natural coconut Milk powder.
- Easy to use and store.
- Made with natural organic coconuts.
- A Versatile and creamy dairy milk alternative made from coconuts.
- All-natural organic certified coconuts and processes are used in the making of this coconut milk.
- USDA Certified and unsweetened.
- It comes in a six-pack of cartons.
- Each carton contains 12 shelf-stable, individual organic milk boxes of whole milk (plain) with straw.
- This is Ultra-pasteurized (UHT) dairy milk, with naturally occurring omega-3 and CLA.
- These are single-serve milk boxes, perfect for kids.
- This product is USDA Certified Organic, gluten-free, non-GMO, and Kosher with no preservatives, antibiotics, synthetic hormones, rBGH, or rBST.
- This product is shelf stable and needs no refrigeration.
- Maple Hill milk is 100% grass-fed organic milk.
- This milk is sustainable and used regenerative culture, and comes in recyclable milk boxes.
- Maple Hill 100% grass-fed organic milk supports 150 small family farms in Upstate New York.
In case you are lactose intolerance, here are our top organic coconut milk for you to choose from.
Index Table: Top Rated Organic Milk
|1||Horizon Organic USDA Certified Organic - Low Fat Milk||Horizon Organic||99.1|
|2||Pacific Natural Foods Non-dairy - Unsweetened Almond Milk||Pacific Natural Foods||98.7|
|3||Prescribed For Life Organic - Dry Milk Powder||Prescribed For Life||98.4|
|4||Elmhurst Unsweetened - Almond Milk||Elmhurst||97.9|
|5||Native Forest Organic - Unsweetened Coconut Milk||Native Forest||97.5|
|6||Thai Kitchen Unsweetened - Organic Coconut Milk||Thai Kitchen||97.2|
|7||Terrasoul Superfoods - natural Organic Coconut Milk||Terrasoul||96.7|
|8||Generic Dairy Free - Organic Coconut Milk||Generic||96.3|
|9||Organic Valley Healthy - Whole Milk Boxes||Organic Valley||95.9|
|10||Maple Hill Grass-Fed - Organic Shelf Stable Milk||Maple Hill||95.4|
Table of Contents
- Organic Milk Vs Regular Milk
- Things To Avoid In Plant-based Milk
- Benefits of Organic Milk
- Reviews: Best Natural Milk To Buy
- Horizon Organic® USDA Certified Organic Low Fat Milk
- Pacific Natural Foods® Non-dairy Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Prescribed For Life® Organic Dry Milk Powder
- Elmhurst® Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Native Forest® Organic Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- Thai Kitchen® Unsweetened Organic Coconut Milk
- Terrasoul® Superfoods natural Organic Coconut Milk
- Generic® Dairy Free Organic Coconut Milk
- Organic Valley® Healthy Whole Milk Boxes
- Maple Hill® Grass-Fed Organic Shelf Stable Milk
- Index Table: Top Rated Organic Milk