Coffee lovers everywhere will all agree that they refuse to get through their day without their cup of joe.
However, not everyone can drink the regular coffee found in stores, as more and more inorganic products are revealed to produce harmful side effects in people.
Organic decaf coffee that is good quality is rare to find – this buyer’s guide can help you to understand more about organic decaffeinated coffee before deciding which brand works best for you.
Health Benefits of Organic Decaf Coffee
Organic decaffeinated coffee has all the health benefits of regular organic coffee, just with a lot less caffeine.
According to Fairtrade and USDA standard, if the coffee has 97% or more of the caffeine removed, it is fit to be labeled ‘decaffeinated.’
In other words, decaffeinated coffee (if a better quality extraction process was used) has a lot of vitamin B’s, such as Vitamin B3 (Niacin), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) and Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid).
Coffee is also a rich source of manganese, magnesium, and potassium, which are all required by our cells to absorb other nutrients!
One of the other significant health benefits of coffee is that it contains high amounts of Resveratrol.
This phytochemical which contributes to coffee’s bitter flavor has also been scientifically proven to burn fat, as well as bring fat metabolism into balance in our bodies.
Coffee also has a reputation for reducing the risk for diabetes, cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer’s disease and aging in general.
How Organic Decaf Coffee is Optimally Processed
Most of us have no idea how decaffeinated coffee is made or produced!
Caffeine is a water-soluble substance, and the process of removing caffeine from roasted coffee beans involves the use of water.
The trick is to eliminate only the caffeine, however, as all the compounds producing the flavor of the coffee are all water soluble (otherwise adding hot water would not make that cup of joe!).
The first decaffeinated coffee was invented in Germany in 1903.
There are some more processes that have been developed since this time, but all of them involve using a chemical to bind to the caffeine inside water.
Activated charcoal, carbon dioxide, methylene chloride, and ethyl acetate are all examples of substances which can bind to caffeine and draw it out of coffee.
Naturally, carbon dioxide and charcoal have been deemed safer options than the chemical methods stipulated. These days, the majority of organic coffee makers use the carbon dioxide method.
Top Tips for Identifying Delicious Organic Decaf Coffee
Finding a good cup of decaffeinated organic coffee can be a tough challenge, so here are our top tips that one can look out for, to ensure a good experience all round:
- Swiss Water Method – The best organic method for caffeine extraction is the Swiss Water Method. This method extracts all flavor and caffeine from one set of beans and distills it in water. The caffeine is then removed from this liquid before the liquid is used to collect caffeine from a fresh batch of coffee beans via water osmosis. This method is the healthiest approach and involves absolutely no chemicals.
- Stick to Medium or Light Roasts – the integrity of a dark roast is not usually maintained well after the decaffeination process, according to many connoisseurs of decaf coffee. You will likely do better sticking to medium or light roasts for a better taste experience.
- Avoid Added Flavouring – if the company adds flavoring to the coffee, it’s usually an indication that the decaffeination process used to make the coffee lost too much of the flavor! Not to mention, these additives tend to be unhealthy for us and stand in the way of receiving all the health benefits we can receive from our coffee.
Reviews: Best Organic Decaf Coffee
Here are some of the best known brands that sell decent organic decaf coffee.
- Voted as one of the best tasting organic decaffeinated coffees, Jeremiah’s Pick presents to you this full-bodied dark roasted coffee.
- This coffee has been approved as being organic and was decaffeinated using the Swiss water process, free from chemical additives.
- This coffee is made from 100% organic Arabica coffee beans.
- Ground and roasted in San Fransisco, California, USA.
- Enjoy the alluring taste of caramel and dark chocolate melting on your tongue with every sip!
- This product is completely natural and organic, grown without the use of chemicals, herbicides or pesticides.
- Decaffeinated using a water process, leaving behind all the flavor!
- It has a delicious taste of medium roast coffee and is described as “strong yet mellow.”
- The organic coffee company sources their beans direct from the farm, as fresh as possible, before roasting them gently after removing the caffeine.
- Fair Trade and USDA Organic Certified.
- The manufacturers of this organic decaf are a family and business, based in the USA.
- Take a chance to try this incredible medium roast decaffeinated coffee, which is reminiscent of Earthy creamy chocolate.
- Roasted to medium intensity in an eco-friendly coffee bean roaster.
- Decaffeinated using a chemical-free water process.
- Made using 100% Arabica coffee beans and also available in decaf as other flavors (like Mexican, Peruvian and Columbian).
- Ideal for coffee lovers who only want a mild acidity to their daily cup of joe.
- This artisan roasted coffee was crafted with a medium body of delicious rich flavours.
- Immerse your taste buds in a spicy cocoa, nutmeg and vanilla coffee experience!
- Grown using sustainable farming practices, being 100% natural and organic.
- Marley Coffee donates part of their proceedings to various charities and causes.
- Simmer down with a cup of this excellent decaf coffee every day and take it easy.
- Made using Arabica coffee beans, which are roasted in the USA.
- This coffee has a superb creamy taste, being a light roast with a sweet bitter flavour.
- Enjoy this organic coffee hot or as a delicious iced drink.
- This coffee was processed using a chemical-free water method, and the coffee was hand grown completely naturally on family-owned farms.
- Enjoy the experience of excellent coffee with less acidity in your body.
- Certified organic and kosher.
- You can choose to buy the beans or have the coffee freshly ground before sent your way to be fully enjoyed.
- This coffee is a unique blend of Indonesian and Central American coffee beans, making this an exotic medium-dark roast.
- The combination of these two coffees creates a unique union of rich, robust flavors (Indonesian) with a medium, golden flavor (American).
- Ideal for starting off the day in good health and spirits!
- Processed using a water method and free from all chemical additives.
- 100% natural and certified organic.
- This coffee is available in packs of 3.
Index Table: Top Rated Organic Decaf Coffees
Table of Contents
- Health Benefits of Organic Decaf Coffee
- How Organic Decaf Coffee is Optimally Processed
- Top Tips for Identifying Delicious Organic Decaf Coffee
- Reviews: Best Organic Decaf Coffee
- Jeremiah’s Pick Coffee Co.® Strong Organic Decaf Water Processed Organic Decaffeinated Coffee
- The Organic Coffee Co.® Decaf Coffee All Natural Water Process Gorilla Decaf Coffee
- Fresh Roasted Coffee® Organic Sumatra Decaf Mountain Water Processed Sumatra Decaf Coffee
- Marley Coffee® Simmer Down Decaf Medium Dark Roast Organic Decaffeinated Coffee
- Café Altura® Regular Organic Decaf Coffee Delicious Family Grown Organic Decaf
- Newman’s Own® Organic Decaf Coffee Blend Medium Dark Roast Decaf Coffee Bean Blend
- Fresh Roasted Coffee® Organic Mexican Swiss Water Decaf Coffee with Whole Bean
- Index Table: Top Rated Organic Decaf Coffees