Organic coconut milk is highly beneficial for most individuals.
It has a long history of aiding digestion, being readily absorbable by our bodies and loaded with nutritional wealth.
However, even with all these beneficial claims about coconut milk, it can be difficult to know what kind of coconut milk to get and what additives/preservatives are ok to ingest.
Knowing this will allow you to source the best organic coconut milk rather than just buying the canned coconut milk at Walmart unaware.
Benefits of Organic Coconut Milk
Most coconut milk is comprised of at least 50% coconut water, as well as healthy proteins and fats containing all the benefits of coconut oil.
Coconut and coconut water are both rich in phytochemicals, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds, minerals, amino acids, and vitamins – all of which have been linked to improvements in metabolic and cardiovascular health.
Organic coconut milk is healthier than non-organic GMO coconut milk and is also a hypoallergenic solution for dairy intolerance.
The best organic coconut milk adds nutrients to your diet that makes you feel good, reduces blood pressure or hypertension, lowers cholesterol and soothes pains in the stomach that are caused by inflammation.
Coconut milk nutrition and health have been known to many East Asian countries for centuries and are a part of local cuisine.
Coconut milk or cream can be substituted in place of milk or cream in many recipes, such as Thai green chicken curry dishes or even garlic mayonnaise.
Canned Coconut Milk vs. Carton Coconut Milk
The big ‘canned coconut milk vs. carton’ question has left many of us wondering what is the healthiest choice regarding the best organic coconut milk.
If you suffer from any extreme metabolic conditions, you should make your own coconut milk and find a good coconut milk recipe like the ons down here.
The reason for this is because the way coconut milk is packaged can be a problem for individuals with unbalanced digestive tracts.
Canned coconut milk is problematic if placed in a BPA (Bisphenol-A) lined can. Particles of tin and BPA will leach into the coconut milk. Canned coconut milk is still better than boxed coconut milk, according to a few sources.
Carton coconut milk is usually also lined with BPA and other plastic compounds.
The main difference between the health effects of cartons vs. cans is that cartons tend to have a larger amount of additives and preservatives.
It is thus recommended to use the can over the carton, however, if you can find a local source that houses coconut milk in glass, you would be onto something even better!
Ingredients to Avoid Inside Organic Coconut Milk
Organic coconut milk that is free from as many artificial additives as possible will confer the most health benefits to you.
These additives tend to detract very much from the health benefits of coconut milk, so read the ingredients list!
Here is a list of ingredients one should avoid that are commonly found in store-bought coconut milk:
- BPA lined tins or cans
- Oestrogens found in plastic
- Titanium Dioxide
- Sulphur meta-bisulphite or anything that ends in sulphite
- Alpha-tocopherol (aka the synthetic form of vitamin E – gamma tocopherol is natural and perfect to ingest)
- guar gum or galactomannan
- added sweeteners like fructose, glucose, sucrose, maltitol and dextrose
- Vitamin A Palmitate
- Vitamin D-2
- Colourants or “E-numbers”
- Bleaching Agents
There are natural organic solutions for lining these containers, as well as eco-friendly compostable containers. A healthier option would be c-enamel or zinc oxide paste which is mixed with a natural oil like linseed.
If you can only find coconut milk in metal tins that are lined with metals, it has been recommended to include turmeric into your diet to draw these metals out of your system.
Turmeric and coconut milk, fortunately, work very synergistically in cooking, together with many other spices.
Reviews: Best Organic Coconut Milk
Below we have compiled our top best organic coconut milk picks from Amazon, which appears to be some of the cleanest products regarding what’s available on the market.
- This delicious coconut milk has been voted the best brand of organic coconut milk by many review sites and lives up to it’s name.
- It comes in a bulk 12 pack for convenience, and each can is 398ml.
- This product contains GMO-free organic coconuts.
- Native Forest organic coconut milk classic is ideal for dairy intolerance.
- No metals, synthetic or artificial additives and placed inside a BPA free can.
- Due to the Guar Gum content, this product is not suitable for metabolic disorders.
- This product imparts a satisfying and healthful flavor to any Thai, Indian, Mediterranean or Caribbean dish.
- This is the ideal healthy canned organic coconut milk, only containing organic coconut and water.
- 100% free of additives, preservatives, E-numbers and stabilizers.
- Natural Value is a family operated business and values ethical principles for you and the entire family!
- USDA and fair trade certified.
- This coconut milk is Kosher, Vegan-friendly, 100% Paleo, gluten and dairy free.
- Packaged in a tin that does not use a BPA lining.
- This product is suitable for people with sensitive digestion, metabolic problems, and health concerned or allergy prone people.
- Each can of Trader Joe’s Organic coconut milk houses 400ml of water and pure organic coconut.
- Made in Sri Lanka and Organically approved by Quality Assurance International (QAI).
- Free from additives, preservatives, guar gum, sweeteners, stabilizers, emulsifiers and BPA.
- This organic coconut milk has a reduced fat and lowers fructose content.
- This coconut milk is ideal for cooking with, drinking in a hot beverage or adding to breakfast to replace milk.
- Enjoy the benefits of this gentle organic coconut milk and live happily in spite of dairy intolerances or metabolic problems!
- This product comes in a pack of 6 small cartons.
- So Delicious coconut milk beverage is a very popular coconut milk choice as the consistency and quality is superior.
- This product is suitable for people who have dairy allergies. However, it does contain artificial additives, xanthan & guar gum, as well as synthetic minerals & vitamins.
- This product is not suitable for metabolic disorders.
- Contains up to 60% Medium Chain Fatty Acids for slower, stable energy release throughout the day.
- Completely GMO free.
- This is another popular choice of coconut milk brands, but not all of Aroy-D products are BPA-free – this product is BPA free though!
- The shelf life of this pure coconut milk is one year.
- 100% undiluted and thus no emulsifiers, stabilizers, additives or preservatives are necessary to add.
- Deluxe and creamy and ideal for dairy allergies.
- The label is unclear about whether the product is organic or not, although this would be suitable for individuals with minor metabolic problems or dairy milk allergies.
- This coconut milk powder makes a fantastic milk substitute in baked goods and hot beverages.
- Z Natural Foods has done a good job of making sure these coconuts are 100% organic, GMO-free.
- The product is free from all artificial additives or synthetic substances. No MSG, no chemicals and no soy.
- An excellent way to thicken out soups and sauces if you have a dairy allergy or are vegan.
- This organic coconut milk powder is USDA Certified.
Comparison Table: Top Organic Coconut Milk
|1||Native Forest Coconut Milk Classic - Unsweetened Creamy Organic Coconut Milk||Native Forest||97|
|2||Natural Value Organic Coconut Milk - Supreme Stabiliser-free Organic Coconut Milk||Natural Value||98|
|3||Trader Joe’s Organic Low Fat Coconut Milk - Superior Quality Indian Coconut Milk||Trader Joe’s||97|
|4||So Delicious Organic Coconut Milk Carton - Formulated Unsweetened Organic Coconut Milk Beverage||So Delicious||95|
|5||Aroy-D Thai Coconut Milk - Pure Thai Coconut Milk Carton 6pack||Aroy-D||96|
|6||Z Natural Foods Organic Coconut Milk Powder - Luxury Superfood Dairy Milk Coconut Substitute||Z Natural Foods||98|
Please Rate this Article:
Table of Contents
- Benefits of Organic Coconut Milk
- Canned Coconut Milk vs. Carton Coconut Milk
- Ingredients to Avoid Inside Organic Coconut Milk
- Reviews: Best Organic Coconut Milk
- Native Forest® Coconut Milk Classic Unsweetened Creamy Organic Coconut Milk
- Natural Value® Organic Coconut Milk Supreme Stabiliser-free Organic Coconut Milk
- Trader Joe’s® Organic Low Fat Coconut Milk Superior Quality Indian Coconut Milk
- So Delicious® Organic Coconut Milk Carton Formulated Unsweetened Organic Coconut Milk Beverage
- Aroy-D® Thai Coconut Milk Pure Thai Coconut Milk Carton 6pack
- Z Natural Foods® Organic Coconut Milk Powder Luxury Superfood Dairy Milk Coconut Substitute
- Comparison Table: Top Organic Coconut Milk