If any of you green moms out there have little girls or adolescent daughters who crave to paint their nails, you may have seen how challenging it can be to find non-toxic organic nail polish in the stores!
With the help of this buying guide, you will know what to avoid inside your nail polish and where to find some of the best organic nail polish.
What does it mean to be 3, 5, 7 or 9-Free?
When nail polish first came out, women everywhere were amazed that they now had the option to change the color of their nails.
The reason nail polish allows one to do this, however, is because it’s primarily made of chemical components and plastic, essentially coating your nails in a waxy, plastic resin.
Later science discovered that many of these chemicals are harmful, being completely toxic and carcinogenic for us.
Nail Polish brands have since begun to include labels which state how many of these toxic chemicals their products are free from. Here is a list of the most commonly toxic chemicals found in nail polish:
- Formaldehyde-like derivatives
- Petrochemical solvents
- Polyurethane film-formers
- Aromatic hydrocarbons
- Coal tar
- Gluten or wheat by-products
Water-based nail polishes tend to be free of all of the above!
The Importance of Using Chemical-Free Nail Polish
In order to emphasize the importance of choosing organic nail polishes, it’s good to understand the adverse health effects of these chemicals.
It’s incredibly important!
Formaldehyde, for example, can cause you to have a sore throat, a cough, scratchy eyes, and nosebleeds. Formaldehyde instantaneously worsens respiratory conditions and encourages the development of asthma, allergies, and even cancer.
Phthalates are also really toxic to us and can cause infertility after being exposed to it a lot.
That means that your little princess may not be able to have children in twenty years’ time if she loves applying daily coats of nail polish!
It was recently revealed that phthalates also contribute to the development of cancer and tumors.
Parabens are little researched about. However, they are known to penetrate the skin deeply and to replace the female hormone estrogen in the body, which can lead to breast and ovarian cancer.
Nail Polish Removers & Nail Strengtheners
Unfortunately, much the same story can be applied to nail polish removers and nail strengtheners.
Nail polish removers consist of many more toxic chemicals to break down the layer of plastics over the nail.
Be careful when using nail polish remover to get a little on you as possible and to try not to inhale the fumes! The best option is to avoid nail polish remover entirely and to purchase a water-based nail polish for easy removal.
Nail strengtheners have similar properties to nail polish so they can stay on the nail.
Instead of using conventional nail strengtheners, supplementing with biotin, a B vitamin complex, and a multivitamin will keep your nails healthy and strong (provided you do not have a metabolic or autoimmune disorder).
Massaging your nails with natural oils, such as coconut, olive, sweet almond, avocado, vitamin E or organic jojoba oil, will help to keep them enriched and radiant.
Reviews: Best Organic Nail Polish
A quality selection of toxic-free organic nail polish for perfect nails.
- Little miss piggy went to the market and bought herself some organic nail polish!
- This range of non-toxic organic nail polish was developed by a mother for her lovely little daughter as a child-friendly product.
- Completely chemical-free and made using a water-based formula.
- No unnatural smells are found in this nail polish, is odorless.
- Coat your nails with a natural hard finish that doesn’t chip easily or poison you!
- These 15ml bottles are made in the USA.
- Scotch Naturals takes pride in it’s full range of exquisite colours of natural nail polish.
- Use this organic base coat underneath your nail polish to protect your nails from harmful chemicals if you can’t afford a whole set!
- This product is eco-friendly, non-toxic, and safe to use on your skin without irritations.
- The ingredients list concurs with the 9-free and more, being completely water-based.
- This base coat was developed to work best with Scotch Naturals nail polish, helping water-based nail polish to adhere better and last longer.
- This organic nail base layer polish is only available in white.
- A superior less toxic nail polish, this is the ideal top coat to any water-based nail polish to give it a defining diamond coating.
- Give your nails a new class of definition with this glossy overcoat, which will ensure your nails are also protected for a longer period.
- It contains organic ingredients such as jojoba oil and aloe, moisturizing, and nourishing your cuticles!
- This topcoat polish is 5-Free, meaning that it still contains some chemical components.
- It is made in New York and 100% GMO-Free.
- This product was made without any animal cruelty or animal testing.
- This nail polish is water based and mostly natural, being 7-free.
- Cover your nails with a metallic green chrome effect without adding harmful additives to your skin.
- Completely vegan and animal cruelty-free.
- This product is hypoallergenic and deemed safe to use by pregnant mothers, cancer patients, sensitive individuals, children, and the rest of the world.
- It comes in a 12ml recyclable glass bottle.
- It contains extra-nourishing coffee extract to strengthen your nails.
- Another superior organically-infused nail product from Adesse Organics, this nail polish is 5-free and completely vegan.
- Give your nails an essential mineral and nutrient boost with the enriching organic additives found in this stylish blend of color!
- Completely GMO-free, this nail lacquer was not tested on animals and will make your nails shine.
- If you are looking for a natural chrome nail polish, this is the product for you – indulge in yourself without harming yourself.
- Made in New York.
- If you are looking for an organic, non-toxic way to strengthen your nails, this may well be your solution!
- Give your nails a beautiful gloss and extra resilience, allowing the beneficial nutrients to seep in.
- Free from animal cruelty or animal products, this nail polish is organic and vegan.
- It is made using a water-based formula and more than 7-free.
- Never worry about being allergic to our nail polish again!
- Highly beneficial for chipped, brittle, or breaking nails.
- This water-based nail polish does not have a chemical safe as it is free of any chemical solvents that may prove corrosive to your nails.
- It is organic, cost-efficient, and eco-friendly.
- The non-toxic nail polish dries quickly without the need of any UV lamps and is easy to peel off.
- This organic two-in-one nail polish can be used as a base coat as well as a topcoat, as it does not split, chip or peel.
- It protects the nails plate and hides ridges.
- This nail polish is natural, organic, vegan-friendly, and free of chemicals such as formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toluene, DBP, and camphor.
- These nail polishes are non-toxic, eco-friendly, non-irritating and free of harsh chemicals such as formaldehyde, toluene or DBP chemicals.
- It dries quickly due to a unique formula, without the need for lamp baking and is easy to remove as well.
- The rich colors allow you to adapt according to the occasion.
- The unique nail polishes come in a wide range of colors, allowing you to change according to the occasion.
- These nail polishes are non-toxic, non-irritating, and eco-friendly.
- It is free of any harsh chemicals such as formaldehyde, toluene, or DBP chemicals, to make sure it does not damage the nails.
- This nail polish is quick-drying and easily removable.
Comparison Table: Top Organic Nail Polish
Table of Contents
- What does it mean to be 3, 5, 7 or 9-Free?
- The Importance of Using Chemical-Free Nail Polish
- Nail Polish Removers & Nail Strengtheners
- Reviews: Best Organic Nail Polish
- Piggy Paint® Non-Toxic Nail Polish Organic Water-based Nail Paint for Princesses
- Scotch Naturals® Base Coat Nail Polish Completely Non-Toxic Base Coat for Nails
- Adesse New York® Diamond Top Shine 5-Free Nail Polish Top Coat
- Karma Hues® Organic Nail Polish Dark Metallic Green Vegan Nail Polish
- Adesse New York® Organic Nail Laquer Organically Infused Chrome Nail Polish
- Karma Hues® Organic Nail Strengthener Non-Toxic Strengthening Nail Polish
- BONTIME® Non-Toxic Organic Water Based Nail Polish
- karma organic® Two-in-One Organic Base/Top Coat Nail Polish
- Abitzon® Quick-Dry Organic Water Based Nail Polish
- Fercaish® Eco Friendly Organic Nail Polish Set
- Comparison Table: Top Organic Nail Polish