Organic is a worldwide craze these days. From food to clothes, makeup to skin, and hair care. Whether we are eating it or putting it on, everything needs to be organic since it is widely believed that Organic is always good. However, when it comes to organic makeup, it has just as many benefits as it has disadvantages. Read on to find out if organic makeup is worth it.
What is Organic Makeup?
These raw ingredients are grown without the use of any GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms), as well as synthetic fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, insecticides, etc.
Therefore, organic makeup is made from natural plant extracts, essential oils, natural dyes, and colors and enriched with plant-derived vitamins and minerals.
Moreover, organic makeup does not contain any synthetic chemicals, Petrochemicals, talc, parabens, preservatives, and other such ingredients.
According to the USDA and FDA, any cosmetic product labeled as ‘Organic’ must comply with the standards and requirements set by the FDA and USDA both.
This is because the USFA regulations check the claim of ‘organic,’ whereas FDA regulations the labeling and safety of the cosmetic products.
Pros of Organic Makeup
1. Good for the Skin
2. Good for the Environment
3. Free of Preservatives
4. Free of Endocrine Disruptors
- Good for the Skin – Organic makeup does not contain any additional chemicals, compared to conventional makeup products, which contain a lot of chemicals in them. Organic makeup uses raw ingredients that are grown and produced organically, without the use of fertilizers, insecticides, and pesticide sprays, as well as any growth-boosting chemicals. Moreover, throughout the processing of organic makeup, it is ensured that they don’t come into contact with unnecessary chemicals. This strict procedure makes sure that the product is of the highest quality and safe to use. Moreover, organic ingredients are known to be more nutrient-rich compared to their conventionally grown counterparts. This means they contain a greater percentage of vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals, making them good for the skin.
- Good for the Environment – Since this makeup is made with organic raw ingredients and does not contain toxic chemicals, it is safe for the environment as well. This is because when crops are grown through conventional methods, chemical fertilizers, pesticides, insecticides, as well as other chemicals are sprayed onto the crops. These chemicals not only get absorbed into the crops but also pollute the environment, damaging the ecosystem. The soil, water, and the surrounding air all become polluted with chemicals. However, organic growing techniques prevent the introduction of all these chemicals into the environment.
- Free of Preservatives – Organic makeup does not contain any preservatives compared to conventional makeup and cosmetic products. These preservatives are added to prevent the formation of bacteria and other contaminants in the products. These harmful contaminants can ruin makeup products and make them bad for the skin. Since organic makeup does not include these preservative chemicals, it cannot stay good very well and is not long-lasting. This is because after some time, the bacteria takes roots and the makeup products go bad.
- Free of Endocrine Disruptors – Probably the best feature of organic makeup is that it does not contain any hormone-disrupting chemicals. This includes any endocrine disrupters as well. Endocrine disruptors are artificial chemicals that affect the production and working of hormones, as well as the system which works with hormones. These endocrine disruptors can cause hormonal imbalances resulting in mood swings, fertility issues, and even cancer in some extreme cases. Endocrine disruptors include Sulfates (SLS), Parabens, Phthalates, Teflon, and other such chemicals.
- Cruelty-Free – Most, but not all, organic makeup products come with the ‘Cruelty-free’ label. Companies with strong moral and ethical values, who care about the environment, also have a strong sense of animal rights. Therefore, these companies don’t test their makeup products on animals to check whether they are safe. Hence, the label of Cruelty-free.
Cons of Organic Makeup
1. Not Waterproof
2. Not Easily Available
3. Less Variety
4. May Cause Allergic Reactions
5. Less Vibrant
- Not Waterproof – Certified Organic and pure makeup cannot be waterproof. This is because most makeup products require a form of silicone or acrylate-based polymer to make them waterproof. Since these ingredients are neither organic nor natural, they cannot be included in Organic makeup products. Moreover, waterproof makeup essentially works like a stain since it creates a film over the skin to ensure nothing goes in and out, it also clogs the pores and prevents the skin from breathing.
- Not Easily Available – No matter the many benefits of organic makeup, it is still a recent enough trend. Although many companies are making organic makeup, it is still not as widely produced as conventional makeup. Moreover, due to low production, it is not easily available, and only a few retailers and brands offer organic makeup products.
- Less Variety – As mentioned earlier, organic makeup is not as widely produced as conventional makeup. Since not many companies make it, as well as the strict regulations and standards that need to be followed to make organic makeup, it comes in much less variety than conventional makeup. Moreover, organic makeup requires the use of select and special ingredients that are completely organic; this is also an important factor in there being less variety in Organic makeup. For example, organic makeup does not include synthetic dyes and colorants, resulting in a smaller color range.
- May Cause Allergic Reactions – Although the term Organic is usually used to say that this product is completely made from natural ingredients, it still does not mean it is safe for everyone. Many people have allergies to natural ingredients such as honey, nuts, etc. Any organic product containing said ingredient can cause an allergic reaction in that person. Moreover, organic ingredients are raw and very intense, and strong. This may be problematic for people with sensitive skin and may cause adverse reactions.
- Less Vibrant – Who doesn’t love bright colors in makeup? However, at some level, we all understand these bright colors cannot be achieved naturally without the help of chemicals. Since organic makeup does not contain artificial chemicals, it does not come in bright colors. This is another reason for there being a smaller variety of organic makeup products.
Now that you know all the pros and cons of Organic makeup, it is up to you to decide whether you want to go the organic way for makeup or not. It’s all about your comfort!