A lush green lawn is a bliss to sink bare feet into…. And to envy the neighbors. Choosing the right lawn food starts with understanding the soil, its nutrient profile, and using an organic lawn fertilizer.
Natural lawn fertilizers keep your lawn eco-friendly. Unlike synthetic chemical fertilizers, they won’t pose any threat to your pets or family.
Potential Hazards of Chemical Fertilizers
Chemical fertilizers are affordable and assure instant improvements in plant growth. However, the other side of the story says they are detrimental to soil, water, air, and of course, to living organisms, including you and us.
Let’s go over some of the potential hazards of chemical fertilizers.
- They kill natural soil microbes, making the soil sterile where nothing can grow.
- When used in excess they cause chemical runoff. Over the years, it depletes the oxygen level in water bodies and affects aquatic flora and fauna.
- Soil acidification is another threat. Change in soil pH isn’t good for the greens.
- Overdoing nitrogen fillers causes chemical burns and reduces growth.
- Repeated applications may increase greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, which translates into land and ocean surface temperature changes.
- Soil mineral depletion also results from continuous use of chemical fertilizers.
Organic Natural Fertilizers Are The Answer
Living in harmony with Mother Nature is possible only if we make a conscious choice to embrace Organic fertilizers. Because what’s happening to the soil under your feet is critical. And, your lawn is no exception!
Organic lawn fertilizers are made from plant, animal or mineral powders. Examples include compost and cottonseed meal. They act as soil conditioners to replenish soil nutrients. The result – better growth and strong roots.
Here are some advantages of organic lawn fertilizers:
- Improve soil structure and water holding capacity
- Being slow-release fertilizers, they won’t over-fertilize the soil.
- Little chances of toxic chemical build up.
- Biodegradable, sustainable, and environmentally friendly
Also, consider some of our best organic fertilizer for vegetable garden.
Ingredients in a Good Organic Lawn Fertilizer
- Manure: they come from poultry, horse, cow or sheep. With lots of organic matter, they are best suited for increasing soil fertility and growth.
- Plant peels: Rich in nutrients including phosphorus and potassium, plant peels will help plant growth. Examples are banana and orange peels.
- Guano: It is rich in nitrogen, phosphorous, and microelements. Many organic fertilizer sprays have Guano in them.
- Bone meal: Fine ground bone is a potent calcium and phosphate source. They promote root strengthening and growth.
- Dried seaweed: Seaweed, an amazing source of trace minerals, helps with soil fertility.
- Epsom salt: It is a great source of magnesium. Magnesium is essential for germination to photosynthesis.
- Greensand: It is an iron potassium silicate rich in iron, potassium, and numerous micronutrients.
- Blood meal: Rich source of nitrogen. But be careful not to overdo it as it burns the plant roots.
Reviews: Best Organic Lawn Fertilizers
If you’d like to pamper, your lawn, consider one of our top five recommended organic lawn fertilizers.
- A slow release fertilizer that will not burn – no poultry litter, no bio-solids! And, your neighbors will envy you. We bet.
- Ringer Lawn Restore II (10-0-6) provides all essential nutrients for a thick, lush green lawn. It is also good to strengthen the root system of your plants.
- The lawn restoring formula contains all-natural ingredients, including feather meal, nitrate of soda, and soybean meal. It has no manures or synthetic compounds.
- Pellets cover 5,000 square feet. This is a non-toxic formula – safe for kids and pets. Plus, it is septic free and odorless.
- Best of all, it is an OMRI Listed organic fertilizer.
- Backed with 85+ years of niche experience, Milorganite is another brand that offers every reason to move away from chemical-rich fertilizers. It meets EPA’s quality standards for fertilizers.
- Primarily comprised of heat-dried microbes and 4% non-staining iron, this is safe for kids and pets. The pellets have no heavy metals or toxic chemicals that harm soil and soil microbiota.
- With its 5-2-0 NPK ratio, it revitalizes the lawn very quickly. Unlike other NPK fertilizers, it doesn’t make turf grow fast. The result – deep green lawn (read: without excess growth).
- Because it has low concentrations of NPK, it won’t burn the grass.
- Bonus points: it also nourishes trees, vegetables, and ornamentals. Give it a little time; you will witness noticeable growth in one to two weeks.
- Scotts is famous for their synthetic fertilizer line. Now, they are into organic, all-natural fertilizer market as well.
- This 11-2-2 NPK natural lawn fertilizer contains feathers, meat, bones, and blood meals plus potash sulfate.
- High nitrogen levels will help the grass grow quicker and make your lawn greener, whereas the lower potassium and phosphorus levels translate into stronger roots and a healthy soil profile.
- Moreover, Scott’s Natural lawn food is safe for pets and kids.
- It comes in a 30-pound bag, which is sufficient to cover 4,000 square feet area.
- The only bummer? It may attract dogs. So, be aware of what you are getting.
- Another real finding to maximize plant growth. It isn’t a lawn-specific organic fertilizer but a feeder for all your planting needs.
- This Cal-Mag supplement formula contains a vast array of plant-based nutrients to promote strong growth.
- The formula effectively deals with all the ups and downs the plants have to undergo – blossom end rot, disease and per resistance, drought, and stunted growth, to name a few.
- The EarthPods are pet-, kids- and eco-friendly. The fertilizer capsules are odorless, and they don’t cause environmental wastage.
- Not only are the ingredients naturally sustainable, but the packaging too.
- Perhaps one of the versatile and effective natural fertilizer out there. Effective on faltering plants, it even works with lawn, trees, vegetables and fruits, flowers and more!
- This proprietary blend works well with all mediums: Soil, Hydroponics, Aeroponics, Coco, or DWC – you name it!
- It offers great mixability with other brand nutrients, which we think is a big bonus.
- Upon application, it activates growth by activating enzymes and fastening photosynthesis. In fact, Humboldts Secret says it can increase the yield by up to 20%.
- Speaking of the ingredients, it has kelp, amino acids, carbs, and plant-based nutrients.
- Use it with any base nutrient system to bring back your lifeless lawn.
- An ECOCERT certified organic all puporse granular fertilizer.
- Use the fertilizer on your lawn, flowers, vegetable garden, and all other plants.
- It contains up to 1500ppm natural plant growth regulators and promotes healthy growth in the stem and root system.
- It contains only natural and organically sourced ingredients.
- An all-purpose fertilizer for container plants, outdoor plants, lawns, and crops.
- It comes in a set of either 50 or ten spikes to choose from.
- All-natural and OMRI listed organic ingredients that are also USDA certified.
- Easy to use and no mess with the handy spike design.
- A continuous feed for your lawn for several months.
- It contains organic ultra-premium scientific minerals and a probiotic with seven champion strains of beneficial soil microbes.
- There are also eight strains of Exo and endo mycorrhizae for better drought tolerance and enhanced nutrient availability.
- Natural and organic supplement for your lawn that is certified and pure.
- This organic fertilizer is completely made of pure earthworm castings.
- It is excellent for houseplants, vegetables, flowers, and more, while still being safe for you.
- This product is non-toxic, organic, and odor-free.
- Only a handful of Unco Industries lawn fertilizer is enough to make your plants happy.
- This fertilizer is ideal for use in September or October.
- It provides the plant the nutrients it needs to prepare for winter.
- It promotes thicker lawns and early spring color.
- Sustane 8-0-4 is made from a combination of aerobically composted turkey litter, green waste compost, feather meal, and sulfate of potash.
- It is organic and safe for you and your plants.
- It is suitable for organic production and is OMRI, CDFA and WSDA listed.
- This 3-3-2 general purpose fertilizer is formulated with everything that grows.
- It is derived from organic fish and grain, as well as indigenous microflora in the soil.
- This fertilizer helps nutrients release resulting in 70% fast-release and 30% slow-release.
- It promotes vigorous root and foliar growth and improves plant disease resistance.
- This AgroThrive product comes in a convenient liquid concentrate, which only needs to be mixed in water before application.
- Each package contains 1 bag of St. Gabriels Organics Milky Spore Grub Control in 80080-2 20 lb quantity.
- 20 Lbs of this product are enough to cover 7000 Sq. Feet.
- The organic compounds in this fertilizer attack the larvae of Japanese beetles (grubs).
- It can be applied anytime with a spreader, from spring through fall.
- This Gabriel Organics product is harmless to all other living things and does not affect birds, bees, beneficial insects, fish, animals, plants, or humans.
Index Table: Top Rated Organic Lawn Fertilizers
Table of Contents
- Potential Hazards of Chemical Fertilizers
- Organic Natural Fertilizers Are The Answer
- Ingredients in a Good Organic Lawn Fertilizer
- Reviews: Best Organic Lawn Fertilizers
- Safer Brand® Plant Based Lawn Fertilizer
- Milorganite® Organic Nitrogen Fertilizer
- Scotts® Natural Lawn Food
- Earthworm Technologies® Organic Fertilizer
- Humboldts Secret® Plant Fertilizer
- MarkNature® Seaweed Organic Lawn Fertilizer
- Jobe’s Organic® All Purpose Organic Lawn Fertilizer
- Dr. Earth® Premium Gold All Purpose Organic Fertilizer
- Unco Industries® Pure Worm Castings Organic Fertilizer
- Sustane® 8-0-4 Organic Winterizer Fertilizer
- AgroThrive® 3-3-2 Organic LAwn Fertilizer
- Gabriel Organics® 80080-2 20 Milky Spore Lawn Spreader Mix
- Index Table: Top Rated Organic Lawn Fertilizers