Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Yet to explore organic toothpaste? Hesitant or you want to know a little more about what goes into your mouth?
Whatever the reason, know this: organic toothpaste has been clinically proven to be effective at decay prevention, gum disease elimination, and teeth whitening.
Why Organic Toothpaste Matters?
Choosing a non-toxic, organic toothpaste is important. It isn’t made to act like detergent for the teeth, the way conventional toothpaste is. Instead, it acts as plaque remover, germ killer, and breath freshener, without putting us in danger.
It is free of artificial flavoring and synthetic dyes. So, even if the children swallow more toothpaste than they spit out, you can rest assured that dangerous toxins aren’t reaching their digestive system. (We can’t blame them. Conventional toothpaste comes in all flavors under the sun!)
What’s Wrong with Conventional Toothpastes?
You may be wondering, ‘What’s wrong with my regular toothpaste?’ ‘What about fluoride which I still believe is essential for dental health?’ ‘Why go natural when toothpaste isn’t there in the mouth forever?’
Here’s the real deal: The dangerous chemicals in conventional toothpaste can irritate and inflame the mucosal lining of our mouth. It doesn’t stop there: the chemicals enter the bloodstream and digestive tract and may cause severe health problems in the long run.
A few of the harmful chemicals you’ll find in conventional toothpaste are:
- Artificial flavors and sweeteners
- Abrasive agents like hydrated silica to scrub the plaques
- Detergents and foaming agents like Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). SLS can strip away the mucosal lining, cause organ toxicity and even end up in canker sores.
- Triclosan – a banned (in soaps and body wash) chemical which is said to disrupt endocrine function.
- Propylene glycol – a surfactant used in paint, detergent solvents and antifreeze.
Organic Toothpaste – Ingredients to Look for
When it comes to finding the right organic toothpaste, rule number one is always: CHECK THE LABEL. Read the ingredients section carefully and ensure they don’t contain any chemicals.
It is equally important not to fell prey to the word ‘Natural’ on the label.
Look for ingredients like neem, green tea extract, coconut oil, citrus fruit extract and more. Organic toothpaste often contains essential oils because of its anti-bacterial, deep cleansing, and anti-inflammatory properties.
Essential oils of tea tree, chamomile, clove, mint, eucalyptus, lemon, and cinnamon are effective in breaking down plaque, maintaining oral pH, and freshening up the mouth.
Activated charcoal Apart from organic teeth whitening, you should look for activated charcoal. From removing stains to preventing tooth decay, raising mouth pH, and teeth whitening, it does only good things to your teeth.
Look for Xylitol, the sugar alcohol derived from birch bark. Studies have shown that Xylitol can slow down the growth of Streptococcus mutants, the bacteria that decay the tooth.
Reviews: The Best Organic Toothpaste
Below are a few of our personal favorites… and, they are the best organic kinds of toothpaste in the market.
We hope you love the products we recommend!
Just so you know, We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
- Himalaya Botanique Toothpaste is a cruelty-free toothpaste you can rely on for clean, sparkling white teeth.
- It is a seamless blend of neem, Triphala, pomegranate, and other botanical ingredients. Triphala is nothing but the three fruits: Amla (Phyllanthus Emblica), bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), and haritaki (Terminalia chebula). Together, these fruits give excellent anti-oxidant benefits.
- In addition, you’ll also find Xylitol extracted from Himalayan birch wood, sodium chloride, and thymol in it. Being an anti-bacterial agent, thymol helps fight bad breath.
- This SLS-, paraben-, triclosan-, gluten-, and carrageenan-free formula has a milder profile suitable for people with tooth sensitivity.
- It doesn’t contain any abrasives that mean ‘no more enamel damage.’
Desert Essence® Natural Organic Tea Tree Oil Toothpaste
- With a striking mix of baking soda, neem extract, tea tree oil, and sea salt, this natural toothpaste ensures you grin from ear to ear.
- Neem keeps the gums and teeth clean; sea salt kills oral bacteria and fights bad breath; tea tree oil reduces the chances of gingivitis, inflammation in gum, and treats mouth ulcer & tooth pain.
- Free of sweeteners, parabens, glycols, fluoride, phthalates, and petroleum compounds, this toothpaste is safe for daily use.
- The simple and effective formula doesn’t contain artificial fragrances, dyes, and harsh abrasives.
- With fun flavors such as fennel, mint, and ginger, even the fussiest one in the family will love Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil & Neem Toothpaste.
Nature’s Gate® Natural Vegan Non-GMO Organic Toothpaste
- Reduce plaque and whiten your teeth with Nature’s Gate Natural Toothpaste made of baking soda, peppermint oil, and free calcium obtained from carrot extract and calcium ascorbate.
- The ingredients you won’t find in this tube are quite long. If you’re excited to know the names, here you go: fluoride, artificial colors, abrasives, artificial sweeteners, and preservatives, GMO, carrageenan, gluten soy, fluoride, paraben, and sulfate.
- It is also vegan-friendly and cruelty-free.
- Talking about the flavor, it has a refreshing, ‘feel-good’ mint flavor.
- Investing in Nature’s Gate Natural Toothpaste is investing in eco-friendliness, too (The toothpaste comes in recyclable tubes).
Cali White® Activated Charcoal Organic Coconut Oil, Teeth Whitening
- If you’re in search of a toothpaste that’s all-natural and gives sparkling white teeth, Cali White Activated Charcoal & Coconut oil toothpaste can get the job done.
- The mix of Xylitol, diatomite diatomaceous earth, baking soda, activated charcoal, organic coconut oil, tea tree oil, and many other natural ingredients are potent enough to keep your whiten the teeth without causing sensitivity.
- Other benefits it offers are complete oral detox, relief from bad breath, and good gum health.
- The vegan, fluoride-, SLS-, gluten-, peroxide-, triclosan-, parabens-free toothpaste is labeled as ‘safe for kids.’
- It comes in a simple, travel-size package – great for people who are always on the go!
Davids® Natural Organic Whitening Antiplaque Toothpaste
- Shiny, pearly white teeth and no plaque – this is precisely what you get from David’s Natural Toothpaste. This also ensures that your risk for developing gum diseases or gingivitis is less.
- It contains Vegetable Glycerin, Xylitol, Peppermint Oil, Spearmint Oil, Anise Seed Extract, Stevia Leaf extract, and many other natural ingredients.
- It doesn’t contain many of the harmful ingredients that conventional toothpaste contains, such as phthalate, fluoride, and SLS.
- Users share that they have no bleeding gums and sensitive teeth after using this vegan/organic toothpaste.
- Available in recyclable packaging, it has a soothing spearmint taste.
- This EWG (Environmental Working Group) verified toothpaste is kid-friendly, too.
UGLY by nature® Xtreme Mint Organic Activated Charcoal Toothpaste
- This organic activated charcoal toothpaste is made with highest quality ingredients that are natural and organic.
- It is free from Fluoride, Parabens, Sodium Sulfates, and artificial colors, which make it so safe that you can also eat it.
- It is approved as vegan by PETA and is cruelty-free.
- UGLY, by nature, organic toothpaste is perfect for your whole family, including family members with disabilities and Autism.
Burt's Bees® Purely White Fluoride-Free Organic Toothpaste
- This organic toothpaste provides a unique refreshing experience with Zen Petterment which leaves your teeth clean and fresh.
- It is free of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, sweeteners, artificial flavors, preservatives, artificial colors, and plastic microbeads.
- It removes surface stains from your teeth and gives you a pleasant smile.
- Burt’s Bees organic toothpaste whitens your teeth without damaging them.
Dr. Bronner’s® All-One Organic Peppermint Toothpaste
- This organic toothpaste is made with 70% organic ingredients that help your teeth whiten, reduces plaque, and freshens your breath.
- It does not contain any synthetic foaming agents that damage teeth.
- It is certified cruelty-free and hygienic.
- Dr. Bronner’s organic toothpaste is made with simple ingredients that give your mouth a refreshing smell and flavor.
RADIUS® Dragon Fruit Organic Toothpaste Gel for Kids
- This organic toothpaste is best suited for your kids, but adults love it too due to its tasty flavours.
- It comes in Dragon Fruit and Coconut Banana flavors.
- It is certified organic and is chemical-free to make it safe for your little ones.
- RADIUS Organic toothpaste gel for kids is proudly made in the USA.
Blisque® Sweet Mint Organic Toothpaste
- This organic toothpaste is masterfully crafted using Himalayan Pink Salt, Organic Inner Fillet Aloe Vera, and Organic Cold Pressed Virgin Coconut Oil.
- It is made with certified USDA organic ingredients that are ideal for your health and for the planet.
- This toothpaste deeply cleans your teeth and gums, ensuring removal of plaque for optimum oral health.
- It provides long-lasting fresh breath and comes pH balanced, all the while being gentle on your gums and teeth, making it suitable for those with sensitivities.
- This organic toothpaste contains no added glycerin, animal ingredients, artificial colors, artificial preservatives, artificial sweeteners, fluoride, gluten, phthalates, propylene glycol, soy, stevia, and most importantly, sulfates.
Index Table: Top Rated Organic Toothpaste
Table of Contents
- Why Organic Toothpaste Matters?
- What’s Wrong with Conventional Toothpastes?
- Organic Toothpaste – Ingredients to Look for
- Reviews: The Best Organic Toothpaste
- Himalaya® Neem and Pomegranate Organic Indian Herbal Toothpaste
- Desert Essence® Natural Organic Tea Tree Oil Toothpaste
- Nature’s Gate® Natural Vegan Non-GMO Organic Toothpaste
- Cali White® Activated Charcoal Organic Coconut Oil, Teeth Whitening
- Davids® Natural Organic Whitening Antiplaque Toothpaste
- UGLY by nature® Xtreme Mint Organic Activated Charcoal Toothpaste
- Burt's Bees® Purely White Fluoride-Free Organic Toothpaste
- Dr. Bronner’s® All-One Organic Peppermint Toothpaste
- RADIUS® Dragon Fruit Organic Toothpaste Gel for Kids
- Blisque® Sweet Mint Organic Toothpaste
- Index Table: Top Rated Organic Toothpaste