If you want that tanned bronzed-up look but are tired of receiving skin reactions and other harmful side effects from synthetic self-tanners, you should try an organic alternative!
Below we will discuss how organic self-tanners work, what ingredients you should avoid, and what you should look for.
Who said looking gorgeous had to be a health hazard?
How Does Organic Self Tanner Work?
Back in the day, you had to work hard to get a decent tan.
Tanning beds or spending long hours in the sun without getting sunburnt were the only means of doing it naturally.
Now self-tanners have developed beyond being made of bad-smelling chemicals that gunk up our lives; organic self-tanners have been invented!
Natural self-tanners are not entirely free of chemicals, but they are free of the main toxic ones such as parabens, fragrance, colorants, and dyes.
Organic self-tanner works by using a vast combination of natural extracts to enhance the color of our skin.
The main active ingredient in all self-tanners is DHA, which is usually synthetically derived.
In the case of organic self-tanners, DHA is naturally extracted from vegetable sugars. Other ingredients in self-tanners help protect your skin from harmful UV rays and aid in natural tanning.
These organic self-tanners tend to smell better than their synthetic ancestors, and they are a lot less invasive and messy, too, contrary to what one might believe!
5 Ingredients to Avoid in Organic Self Tanner
While organic self-tanners often contain harmful chemicals, all the organic ingredients present to protect us against the damage. There are a few devastating chemicals that should be avoided at all costs inside your organic self-tanner:
- Mineral Oil – Mineral oil sounds natural, but the truth is that it is derived from petroleum and is carcinogenic. Mineral oil also blocks your pores, which creates acne.
- Synthetic Fragrance or Dyes – Synthetic fragrances and colors are made using petrochemicals which are all carcinogenic for us. Many of these ingredients are irritants for the skin and eyes too, and over time they can also create respiratory problems.
- Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate – When you see this ingredient or anything that looks vaguely similar, you should run a mile! Not only is this a pore blocker as well as carcinogenic, but it releases formaldehyde in the skin. Formaldehyde was already banned from many skincare products, infamous for causing cancer and many allergies.
- Parabens – Parabens are used as preservatives in cosmetics and other products for their ability to kill bacteria and more. They are also toxic to us and have been linked to creating cancer and weakening our immune function.
- Amyl Acetate – Amyl Acetate is used in multiple laundry products and is a very harsh chemical ingredient. If you would not apply bleach to your skin, why would you apply this?
Ingredients in a Good Organic Self Tanner
Below we have discussed in brief five of the best ingredients that help to make your tan perfect, as well as nourish your skin!
- DHA – DHA or dihydroxyacetone is the main active ingredient in ALL self tanners. This ingredient is a sugar that interacts with the pigment in the skin to produce that bronze-tanned look. In the case of organic self-tanner, DHA is extracted from natural plant-based sources and not synthetically derived.
- Argan Oil – Argan oil is renowned for perfect hair, skin, and nail regrowth, as well as maintaining radiant skin. In self-tanners, argan oil has found a use to keep your skin well hydrated and add a golden glow to your skin. It also protects the skin from harmful sun rays.
- Rooibos – Rooibos tea is one of the darkest brown teas available in the world today, and it is also full of antioxidants. It’s used in self-tanner to add a darker hue to the blend and soften and hydrate the skin.
- Green Tea – Green tea is used in organic self-tanners to protect the skin against free radical damage. This is useful, particularly in a self-tanner that still uses some chemicals to achieve the desired effect. Therefore, we suggest this organic oatmeal soap as they also help remove dead skin cells from the skin. Besides, this natural and gentle exfoliating product has anti-aging properties.
- Beta Carotenes – Beta carotenes are natural compounds found in orange vegetables like carrot, pumpkin and butternut. The pigment of these vegetables is used in self-tanner combined with a few other natural colors to alter the pigment in the skin for a time. Sea Buckthorn Oil has apparently got one of the highest amounts of beta carotenes, and many natural individuals have claimed that using a watered-down application over their skin has created the bronze tan they desired.
Reviews: Best Organic Self Tanners
Have a look at our premium list of the best organic self tanners available for order online!
- This self-tanner lotion will get you entirely bronzed in no time, using the same principle base as an ordinary tanner but with a lot of added nutrients!
- Massage your skin with moisturizing shea butter, jojoba, and coconut oils while the DHA does its magical tanning act.
- Organic cranberry, green tea, and argan oils help soften and hydrate the skin while simultaneously protecting against any free radical damage.
- Pomegranate extract has been proven to be excellent for skin and is often used in natural anti-aging formulas to reduce wrinkles.
- Free from artificial colors and fragrances, as well as toxic parabens, petrochemicals, and mineral oil.
My Skin’s Friend® Organic Sunless Tanner Organic Spray On Self Tanner Lotion
- This self-tanner is full of fantastic antioxidant nourishment combined with natural DHA to produce a quality organic bronze tan.
- Aloe vera and jojoba extracts have been added to keep your skin from drying out and enhance your natural glow.
- Wild Chaga Mushroom extract is a brown mushroom that adds to the tanned look, helps repair damaged skin, and protects against skin cancer.
- Raspberry, cinnamon, cocoa, and purple sweet potato extract included in this self-tanner contain further pigmentation derived from natural plant sources.
- This self-tanner has a pleasant natural citrus frankincense smell and is easy to apply with the spray-on bottle.
Thermalabs® Natural Self Tanner Golden Self Tanner with Organic Ingredients
- This self-tanner is made using various organic extracts to protect your skin from the sun while working on your tan immediately.
- Vitamin E and Vitamin B5 are added to this formula to promote healthy skin function and restore natural radiance.
- In combination with other floral extracts, Rooibos tea extract provides excellent antioxidant protection as well as a natural golden coloration.
- Aloe vera and chamomile extracts aid in retaining moisture in the skin as well as softening it to a smooth, silky texture that goes hand-in-hand with your new tanned look!
- Macadamia nut oil is also added and happens to be rich in vitamin E and other skin-nourishing ingredients.
- Spend more time on your tan and less time in the sun with this easy-to-apply self-tanner.
Bahama Tan® Organically Derived Tanner Organic Self Tanner for Flawless Tanning
- This self-tanner is incredibly easy to use and spreads upon the skin like a dream without leaving streaks or smears.
- Full of organic additives to improve your skin’s vitality, this sunless tanner lotion creates a luxurious bronze shade that deepens the more you apply it.
- It contains six of the most intense natural moisturizing agents (argan oil, shea butter, jojoba, coconut, olive, and Monoi de Tahiti oil) for deeper penetration and a longer-lasting tan.
- All the other floral and fruity extracts used in this self-tanner are organic, antioxidant-rich, and GMO-free.
- Free from sunblock, parabens, propylene glycol, fragrance, SLS mineral oils, and more!
Sunless Science® Organic Self Tanner All Natural Self Tanning Lotion
- The all-organic self-tanner lotion that you’ve been waiting for, made with naturally derived DHA on top of an anti-aging formula for the best beauty results.
- This self-tanner has co-enzyme Q10, a vital nutrient in our bodies that is used up as we age, prevents wrinkles, and improves skin tightness.
- The combination of vitamin E, almond oil, witch hazel, and juniper berry all help to hydrate the skin and protect against harmful UV rays.
- Horse chestnut extract helps to improve circulation in the skin for the best anti-aging results.
- Just apply a squirt evenly over your legs, torso, arms, and face to receive a beautiful golden brown tan that leaves your skin in a better condition than before you began!
Skinerals® Californium Sunless Organic Selftan Lotion
- Bronze your skin easily with everything you need in the package.
- It can be used on your face and your body.
- It comes with a lightweight and pleasant smell.
- It protects your body and will not harm your skin.
- Completely natural and organic.
TanOrganic® Self-Tan Organic Self Tan Oil
- Anti-aging and very moisturizing formula.
- Clean and will not stain your clothing or leave streaks on your body.
- Fully Eco-Certified, all-natural, and organic.
- It contains aloe vera to hydrate the skin.
Bahama Tan® Natural Organic Gradual Self Tan
- This product promises no streaking, Oranges, blotchiness, and no chemicals or unnatural ingredients.
- Organic and natural and Eco-Cert Approved and Certified.
- Non-Toxic and healthy to use on your skin, giving you a gradual tan.
- Very easy to use and comes with step-by-step instructions.
True Natural® Tan Organic Self Tanner
- This quick-absorbing self-tanner gives a natural-looking golden tan without harmful UV exposure.
- True Natural self-tanner offers a non-streaking formula for a natural finish.
- The tan lasts from 5 to 7 days and can be reapplied as needed.
- This product is Cruelty-free and made with 100% natural ingredients.
Alba Botanica® Sunless Self Tanner Lotion
- Each pack contains one 4 Oz. Tube of Alba Botanica Sunless Tanner Lotion.
- This is a non-streaking and quick-absorbing formula.
- It is powered by botanicals to ensure gentle application on the skin.
- This sunless tanner provides results in less than three hours.
- It contains nourishing shea butter, sweet almond oil, and safflower oil to hydrate skin.
- This product is free of Glute, parabens, phthalates, or synthetic fragrances.
GOLDEN STAR BEAUTY® Anti Aging Organic Self Tanner for Face
- This amazing self-tanner provides a golden bronze tan without any fake tan smell or streaks.
- The tanner moisturizes the skin and comes with a non-oily finish and perfect fade.
- Apart from tanning, it deeply moisturizes, nourishes, and rejuvenates your complexion, as well as slowing down the effects of aging, increasing elasticity, and improving skin tone.
- This product is Non-comedogenic and does not clog pores.
- It is made in the USA, using USDA Certified oils and extracts and vitamin B5, aloe vera, hyaluronic acid, and intense moisturizers.
- This product is paraben-free, cruelty-free, gluten-free, vegan, and dyes-free.
VITA LIBERATA® Advanced Organic Self-Tanning Gradual Lotion
- This hydrating lotion applies clear for zero transfer onto clothing and gradually develops into a subtle glow.
- You can deepen the color with daily use, as per your wishes.
- It is formulated with Aloe Vera and Shea butter to moisturize and nourish the skin.
- It gives a lasting tan result with added skincare benefits and results in the most natural-looking golden tanned skin.
- It is suggested not to use any moisturized or moisturizing shower creams in the twenty-four hours before use.
- For best results, apply to exfoliated skin with a tan mitt.
Comparison Table: Top Rated Organic Self Tanners
Table of Contents
- How Does Organic Self Tanner Work?
- 5 Ingredients to Avoid in Organic Self Tanner
- Ingredients in a Good Organic Self Tanner
- Reviews: Best Organic Self Tanners
- Beauty By Earth® Bronze Self Tanner Effective Organic Self Tanner Cream
- My Skin’s Friend® Organic Sunless Tanner Organic Spray On Self Tanner Lotion
- Thermalabs® Natural Self Tanner Golden Self Tanner with Organic Ingredients
- Bahama Tan® Organically Derived Tanner Organic Self Tanner for Flawless Tanning
- Sunless Science® Organic Self Tanner All Natural Self Tanning Lotion
- Skinerals® Californium Sunless Organic Selftan Lotion
- TanOrganic® Self-Tan Organic Self Tan Oil
- Bahama Tan® Natural Organic Gradual Self Tan
- True Natural® Tan Organic Self Tanner
- Alba Botanica® Sunless Self Tanner Lotion
- GOLDEN STAR BEAUTY® Anti Aging Organic Self Tanner for Face
- VITA LIBERATA® Advanced Organic Self-Tanning Gradual Lotion
- Comparison Table: Top Rated Organic Self Tanners