How often do you say, “I’m stressed out,” or “Life is one big stress”? Stress is hard to define and harder to rule out from our ‘busy’ life.
Luckily, the health and wellness world understands the effects of stress on the body and human behavior. And, that’s where medicinal herb like organic Ashwagandha comes into play. Want to know more Ashwagandha? Keep reading!
What is Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), also known as “Indian winter cherry” or “Indian ginseng,” is a medicinal herb that has been used in Ayurveda for thousands of years. The root has a horsey smell (in Sanskrit, ashva = ‘horse’ and gandha = ‘smell’) and is said to provide the strength and virility of a horse.
Ashwagandha is an adaptogen, which means that it can protect the body from stress. It has been used as an anthelmintic, astringent, thermogenic, stimulant, aphrodisiac, diuretic, and everything in between.
The wonder herb’s list of superpowers goes on, but we’ll dig into a few of Ashwagandha’s most notable health benefits below.
Health Benefits of Ashwagandha
Regular consumption of Ashwagandha can help with,
- Stress and Anxiety: It is obvious! Numerous animal studies found that Ashwagandha can block the stress pathway in the brain. In fact, similar results were observed in human studies as well.
- Blood sugar reduction: Ashwagandha has direct links with insulin secretion and improved insulin sensitivity in muscle cells, says the scientific studies. That means consuming Ashwagandha can reduce blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes.
- Cancer protection: Both animal and test-tube studies have shown that Ashwagandha promotes the death of tumor cells. Though it is not yet confirmed in humans, this encouraging result can come handy in preventing cancer invasion and metastasis.
- Reduce cortisol levels: Cortisol, the stress hormone, increases in response to stress or anxiety. Unfortunately, this will spike up blood sugar levels and promotes belly fat deposition. Luckily, studies have shown that Ashwagandha can significantly reduce cortisol levels.
- Increase testosterone: Evidences suggest that Ashwagandha helps increase testosterone levels. Additionally, it can also boost sperm quality and fertility in men.
- Reduce inflammation: Several animal studies concluded the anti-inflammatory potential of Ashwagandha. According to a human study published in the Journal of Phytotherapy Research, Ashwagandha increases natural killer (NK) cells’ activity. (NK cells are the immune cells that fight off infection).
How Is Ashwagandha Taken?
The most popular form of Ashwagandha is its root extract, but leaf extracts are also consumable. You can purchase Ashwagandha root and leaf extracts in capsule and powder forms. Speaking of the nutrients in Ashwagandha root powder, a 1000 mg dehydrated ashwagandha root powder contains,
- 2.5 calories
- 0.04 g protein
- 0.032 g fiber
- 0.05 g carbohydrates
- 0.03 mg iron
- 0.02 mg calcium
- 0.08 microgram carotene
- 0.06 mg vitamin C
The dosage and the way it is used depending on the health benefit you’re trying to reap. Before adding Ashwagandha supplement, do have a word with your doctor regarding the dosage, especially if you are on other medications.
Reviews: Best Organic Ashwagandha
- Organic India’s Ashwagandha capsules are sourced from pure Withania somnifera herb extract. Vegetable cellulose is the only additional ingredient it contains.
- Each capsule has got 800 mg of organic Ashwagandha root, with 90 capsules in the bottle for a fair price.
- Loaded with all-good phytonutrients, these organic Ashwagandha capsules will calm stress, lower free radical formation, and bodily balance functions.
- The vegan-friendly formula is USDA-certified organic, gluten-free, and non-GMO free. It is kosher and Halal certified, too.
- It is formulated for bio-availability and fast absorption, meaning you can witness effective and quick results.
- If you want to integrate Ashwagandha into your tea, protein shake, or smoothies or any other mixtures, Banyan Botanicals’ Ayurvedic Ashwagandha powder is the way to go.
- Sourced from sustainably grown Ashwagandha root, the loose powder is certified organic and comes in a 1-pound bag.
- Its taste and texture are both on point, too, proving that it is 100% natural and has no fillers or flavoring agents.
- Not only does it come handy as a stress buster, but it strengthens muscles and bones, sustains energy levels, and promotes sleep.
- Though the brand advice to mix it with warm water, it tastes better (its medicine so you gotta live with the taste!) if mixed with almond milk or coconut milk.
- We’ve listed organic Ashwagandha capsules, powder, and now it’s time to talk about a tincture.
- Made from 2,000 mg of pure Ashwagandha extract, the 4 oz bottle is sure to reduce all anxiety and irritability. Plus, it will regulate your sleep-wake cycle, give you energy, boost immunity, and everything in between.
- To consume, add two to three drops per cup warm water (use nut milk if you don’t like the taste) and take two times a day.
- The pocket-friendly buy will give 30-40 servings per bottle, depending on how much you take and how many times you use per day.
- Falling into the bracket of the most effective and potent organic Ashwagandha powder, this one comes with black pepper extract for better bioavailability.
- The vegan capsules also contain non-GMO plant cellulose and non-GMO gluten-free rice concentrate.
- It uses the purest form of Ashwagandha root, so you can expect to get better stress relief. It may also support vitality, reduce pain, and energize you.
- This 1200 mg per serving formula has no additives or fillers. Plus, it is GMO-free and vegan safe.
- In case you are not satisfied with the result, there is a money-back guarantee.
- If you are looking for a potent version of the organic Ashwagandha capsule, this is just for you. Vostok Nutrition offers 1300mg of Ashwagandha and 10 mg of black pepper extract in one serving.
- The easy-to-swallow vegetarian capsules do not contain artificial binders or fillers, harmful chemicals, or artificial ingredients.
- Rather, the capsules are made from pure Ashwagandha under strict GMP guidelines in the USA.
- Additionally, each batch of organic Ashwagandha capsules is tested by FDA registered laboratory for purity, potency, accuracy, and safety.
- Use this potent adaptogen formulation to calm the nervous system and to manage anxiety and stress.
- Organic Ashwagandha reduces stress hormones, which, in turn, allows your immune system to function optimally. In addition to that, it helps maintain already healthy blood sugar levels, combat fatigue, and give an energy and mood boost.
- This Ashwagandha supplement is sourced from the root, resulting in a 100% organic powder which is certified as such by ICS and bolstered with 10mg of black pepper to help your body absorb it most effectively.
- Ashwagandha is one of the rare adaptogenic herbs that contain unique properties that promote properly balanced thyroid, cortisol, and adrenaline levels.
- This organic ashwagandha supplement is made right here in the USA in an FDA-registered and inspected facility, which strictly adheres to CGMP (Current Good Manufacturing Practices) standards.
- This premium Ashwagandha comes in 120 capsules, each containing 1300mg/serving.
- This product is Certified Organic, Non-GMO, Vegan, and all-natural.
- It is made with Organic Ashwagandha root powder and comes in 100% vegan safe vegetable capsules.
- This product is made in the USA and third-party tested.
- This Ashwagandha is made with 100% USDA certified organic ashwagandha root powder and made from pure ashwagandha root with black pepper extract.
- Ashwagandha is a powerful adaptogen that provides a quick natural way to help fight and stress and negativity. Ashwagandha has also been shown to help with forgetfulness and alertness.
- These 90 veggie ashwagandha capsules employ black pepper for increased absorption.
- Ashwagandha helps stabilize mood swings and boosts adrenal health. Ashwagandha reduces feelings of stress, irritability, and negativity.
- This Ashwagandha is 3rd-party tested for purity and manufactured in the USA using imported and domestic ingredients in a cGMP-certified registered facility.
- Himalaya Organic Ashwagandha helps to rejuvenate the adrenal function.
- This Organic Ashwagandha is USDA Certified Organic, NON-GMO Verified, and does not contain ingredients of animal origin. Each caplet is also additive-free, gluten-free, wheat-free, corn-free, soy-free, and dairy-free, and contains no artificial fillers, binders, or excipients.
- Each Himalaya Organic Ashwagandha caplet is equivalent to 4,630 mg of powder.
- Himalaya Organic Ashwagandha uses a combination of organic Ashwagandha root powder, organic Ashwagandha root extract, and organic Ashwagandha supercritical C02 extract.
- This ultra-potent 2100 mg ashwagandha root contains adaptogen and antioxidants to promote relief from Anxiety, Stress, Cortisol, as well as Thyroid and Adrenal fatigue.
- This dietary supplement supports adrenal health, instead of adrenal fatigue, which is a great way to improve overall mood. It also defends against mental and physical stressors by supporting normalized CORTISOL
- This organic Ashwagandha also boosts immunity support with powerful antioxidants, as well as promoting balanced Thyroid hormones.
- It offers 2100mg of Ashwagandha organic powder extract per serving and is grown 100% naturally and organically, as well as being NON-GMO, and vegan-friendly.
Index Table: Top Rated Organic Ashwagandha
Table of Contents
- What is Ashwagandha?
- Health Benefits of Ashwagandha
- How Is Ashwagandha Taken?
- Reviews: Best Organic Ashwagandha
- ORGANIC INDIA® Certified Organic Ashwagandha Herbal Supplement
- Banyan Botanicals® Ayurvedic Ashwagandha Root Powder
- Nature's Answer® Vegan Ashwagandha Root Extract
- NUTRAHERBALS® Organic Ashwagandha Supplement
- Vostok Nutrition® Organic Ashwagandha Capsules
- Healths Harmony® Vegetarian Organic Ashwagandha
- NutriFlair® Extra Strength Organic Ashwagandha Capsules
- Physician's CHOICE® Powder Extract Organic Ashwagandha Root
- Himalaya® Energy Boosting Organic Ashwagandha
- Happy Healthy Hippie® Extra Strength Organic Ashwagandha Root Powder
- Index Table: Top Rated Organic Ashwagandha