Iron is an essential mineral. Be it producing blood cells and hemoglobin, maintaining the immune system, or contributing to brain function, the human body needs Iron. That’s why one shouldn’t be Iron deficient.
Getting your iron levels checked is the first step towards maintaining iron levels, and the next step is to choose an excellent organic iron supplement.
Signs You Have Iron Deficiency
The symptoms of iron deficiency vary, depending on its severity, as well as an individual’s age and health status. In some cases, it is also possible that there are no symptoms. Common signs include:
Fatigue: The most common symptom of iron deficiency. When less oxygen reaches muscles and tissues, it deprives an individual of energy. Also, the heart pumps more oxygenated blood around the body, which drains a person’s energy.
Pale skin: Hemoglobin is the pigment that gives blood its color and, thus, the skin its pink-like hue. If the gums, inside of lips and bottom eyelids are pale, blame it on low iron levels.
Shortness of Breath: Low hemoglobin levels means poor oxygen transportation to muscles and tissues and increased breathing rate.
Restless leg syndrome: Approximately 15% of people with restless leg syndrome may be Iron deficient.
Frequent headaches: Low iron levels can cause the brain arteries to swell, which then becomes frequent headaches, says the National Headache Foundation. This is because the body prioritizes, supplying more oxygen to the brain.
Anxiety: A lack of oxygen heightens the heartbeat and sympathetic nervous system—the result: fight-or-flight without no particular reason.
Hair loss: Iron deficiency inhibits hemoglobin production, which is essential for hair growth. The result: excessive thinning of hair.
Underactive thyroid gland: Iron is essential for thyroid function. Iron-deficient people experience fatigue and sudden weight gain because of an underactive thyroid gland.
Inflamed tongue: Low iron levels significantly reduce myoglobin, an iron-containing protein in muscle. That’s why iron-deficient people complain of swelling, sores, or strangely smooth tongue.
Why One Should Take Organic Iron Supplements?
We get all the Iron our body needs from the foods we eat. But there are certain situations and health conditions that may make it necessary to consume iron supplements (read: organic/natural). Organic iron supplements, aka iron salts and iron pills, are the iron formulations made from natural iron-rich herbs. You may need organic iron pills/tabs if you,
Have iron deficiency anemia: Iron deficiency anemia occurs when there’s not enough iron in your red blood cells. Without enough iron, your red blood cells cannot provide enough oxygen to your cells and tissues.
Pregnant: Pregnant women or nursing mum need to take in 15 to 18 milligrams of iron/day. According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the recommended dietary allowance of iron for pregnant women is 27 milligrams per day.
Heavy periods: Heavy menstruation depletes iron stores – one of the many reasons why women have higher anemia rates than men.
Are an athlete: Scientists believe that athletes may need more red blood cells to carry oxygen so they can hit the gym hard.
Take iron depleting meds: Some medications such as quinolones, ranitidine, omeprazole, colestipol, etc., can interfere with iron absorption of your body.
Numerous brands of oral iron supplements are available today. Let’s take a look at the considerations before buying them.
Choosing The Right Organic Supplement
Here’s a quick and easy guide to help you choose the right organic iron supplement for you. And, as always, your doctor is the best resource to help you understand the available options.
- Which form you prefer: Organic iron supplements come in liquid, tablet, or capsule form. Depending on your preference, you might want to go for a slow-release supplement.
- Dosage: Too much Iron can affect your liver and can cause serious health problems. Run the blood test and speak with your doctor before consuming organic iron supplements.
- Read labels: When you see the words’ natural’ or ‘organic,’ do not assume the product is suitable for you or comes without side effects. Remember, all supplements can potentially cause side effects or interact with meds. Therefore, read all product labels carefully.
- Level of elemental Iron : In general, iron supplements are sold under the names ferrous sulfate, ferrous fumarate, and ferrous gluconate. All three forms are well-absorbed by the body, but their elemental iron levels differ. Ferrous fumarate contains the highest amount of elemental Iron.
Reviews:Best Organic Iron Supplements
Below we have jotted down the top 5 organic iron supplements.
- For those who have certain dietary restrictions like being vegan or having gluten allergies, this is the best bet to
- combat fatigue.
- Your body needs folic acid and B12 to produce healthy red blood cells. And, this supplement includes enough of both nutrients to boost energy levels.
- Delivering 26 mg of Iron per serving, it can be consumed on an empty stomach, any time of day. It is safe for menstruating girls, pregnant women, and vegans.
- Made without GMOs, and tested for about 125 herbicides and pesticides, it is soy and dairy-free, too.
- The product is certified Kosher and has no fillers and preservatives.
- If you have chronically low iron that has not responded to dietary intake, Floradix’s natural liquid iron supplement is the way to go.
- This essential supplement supports the formation of the red blood cell and thus fight back iron deficiency issues.
- It’s in the easily absorbable form, which means it’s great if normal iron supplements give you constipation, cramps, and pain.
- It is formulated with all-natural herbal extracts and fruit juices for a great taste. It is vegetarian, lactose-free, non-GMO, alcohol-free, and Dairy-free. Floradix does not contain any preservatives or artificial flavors.
- Take this Kosher + Non-GMO natural iron supplement also contains 90% daily value of Vitamin B6, 110% of Vitamin B12, and also Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B1, and B2 to keep you active.
- As with most health supplements in the BeLive line, this iron gummy is certified vegan-friendly, dairy-, nut-, gluten-, and seafood-free, as well as non-GMO.
- To top it off, the 60 chew-able gummies are made in a kosher & halal-certified facility, meaning it is produced adhering to strict guidelines.
- BeLive iron gummies also contain Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Folic Acid, Zinc, and Vitamin B complex (Biotin, B3, B5, B6, B12) to boost energy levels and help cut back on nutrient deficiencies in general.
- This vegan iron supplement is suitable for everyone, from kids to the elderly, and has a yummy grape flavor. The best part – there are no artificial colors or additives.
- To keep energy levels high and boost the immune system, simply take two iron gummies a day.
- Vegan? Have allergies to milk, nuts, and soy? Here’s the best supplement for you – EZ Melts Iron as Elemental Iron.
- Formulated with carbonyl iron for safety and effectiveness, it is fast melting. Thanks to plenty of Vitamin C that helps the body absorb iron effortlessly.
- Unlike many regular iron supplements, it has no milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soy. So most people should be able to use it, without any fear of allergies.
- The 90 iron tablets with ‘Zesty Orange’ flavor are gluten-free, as well as non-GMO. Additionally, it has no artificial sweeteners, colors, or any fillers that harm your health.
- Made to optimize the iron levels in the body and to enhance energy levels, this one tops the list of fast-absorbing, non-constipating vegan liquid iron supplements.
- This is suitable for adults and children alike; however, highly recommended for pregnant women who need Iron for the baby’s growth.
- It contains the goodness of Organic Honey, Elderberry, Organic sweet orange peel essential oil, Rice bran extract, Acerola fruit extract, Fennel seed, and more. All ingredients are good for expecting women to support their bodies before and after childbirth.
- Gaia Herbs iron supplement is free of GMO, gluten, soy, dairy, meat, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, yeast or eggs.
- This organic supplement is designed for both men and women and does not leave a metallic aftertaste.
- It works as a whole-food source of Iron, sourced from an organic sprouted blend.
- These supplements are gentle on the stomach and non-constipating.
- It is plant-based, highly bioavailable, Vegan, and Non-GMO.
- The whole-food iron supplement gives you non-constipating, fatigue-fighting Iron that can be easily absorbed by your body while being gentle on the stomach.
- It builds blood cells and supports natural energy production with Iron plus five essential vitamins and minerals: Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Folate, B12, and Zinc.
- New Chapter Fermented Iron Complex helps improve nutritional iron levels and is a great iron supplement for women’s needs during pregnancy and during menstruation or other times of blood loss.
- This fermented Iron can be taken any time, every day, and even on an empty stomach! Folate (as folic acid from ferment media) content is 1333 mcg DFE.
- This iron supplement is made with Organic Vegetables & Herbs.
- It is Non-GMO Project Verified, 100% Vegetarian, Certified Gluten-Free by NSF, FDA & GMP compliant, Certified Kosher, as well as Dairy-Free, Sugar-Free, 3rd-party tested and free of any Artificial Flavors or Colors, Synthetic Fillers, or Animal Gelatin.
- This supplement is an excellent way to provide energy to the entire body with 10mg of whole food organic iron supplement and ayurvedic organic herbs Ashwagandha, Amla, and curry.
- It supports blood health employing plant-based Iron plus organic Amla vitamin C and whole food vitamins B6 and B12 for improved iron absorption.
- The plant-based iron vitamins are made from over 35 real plant sources.
- This liquid non-constipating iron supplement comes in a delicious cranberry-lime flavor.
- The whole food iron supplements are certified USDA Organic and Non-GMO Verified.
- This supplement helps provide the supplementary iron recommended for infants and toddlers.
- This product may cause temporary discoloration in your little one’s mouth.
- It is free from Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Dyes, Parabens, Artificial Colors, Artificial Flavors, and Preservatives.
- The iron drops are USDA certified organic, made without the use of chemical preservatives, and bottled in glass.
- It supports healthy brain and nervous system development by maintaining healthy maternal blood circulation so nutrients can be delivered to the fetus.
- Iron is an essential mineral for red blood cell production, which carries oxygen and nutrients throughout the body.
- Each serving provides 18mg of Iron made with curry leaf to help pregnant women meet their daily dietary needs.
- It is an absorbable and bioavailable iron supplement made from organic curry leaf extract that is easier to digest than synthetic iron supplements.
- It is derived from a plant source to accommodate most diets, food sensitivities and preferences
Index Table: Top Rated Organic Iron Supplements
|1||MegaFood Blood Builder - Daily Iron Supplement and Multivitamin||MegaFood||99.1|
|2||Flora Floradix - Iron Supplement + Herbs||Flora||98.7|
|3||BeLive Vegan - Grape-flavored Iron Gummies||BeLive||98.3|
|4||EZ Melts Pure - Natural Orange Flavored Iron Supplement||EZ Melts||97.9|
|5||Gaia Herbs Natural - Plantforce Liquid Iron||Gaia Herbs||97.6|
|6||Nutrigold Gentle - Organic Iron Supplement||Nutrigold||97.2|
|7||New Chapter Fermented - Iron Complex Supplement||New Chapter||96.8|
|8||Garden of Life mykind Organics - Organic Plant-Sourced Iron||Garden of Life||96.4|
|9||Wellements Infants - Organic Iron Drops Supplement||Wellements||96.1|
|10||CATALO Vegetarian - Organic Iron Supplement||CATALO||95.7|
Table of Contents
- Signs You Have Iron Deficiency
- Why One Should Take Organic Iron Supplements?
- Choosing The Right Organic Supplement
- Reviews:Best Organic Iron Supplements
- MegaFood® Blood Builder Daily Iron Supplement and Multivitamin
- Flora® Floradix Iron Supplement + Herbs
- BeLive® Vegan Grape-flavored Iron Gummies
- EZ Melts® Pure Natural Orange Flavored Iron Supplement
- Gaia Herbs® Natural Plantforce Liquid Iron
- Nutrigold® Gentle Organic Iron Supplement
- New Chapter® Fermented Iron Complex Supplement
- Garden of Life® mykind Organics Organic Plant-Sourced Iron
- Wellements® Infants Organic Iron Drops Supplement
- CATALO® Vegetarian Organic Iron Supplement
- Index Table: Top Rated Organic Iron Supplements