Corn is likely one of the most controversial health topics of our day and age.
Many people say it’s great, can replace gluten, and should be included in a healthy diet – meantime, corn has quite a dark side that we will clarify in this article.
Read further to learn why you should only ever eat organic popcorn and to find out where you can get some!
The Dark Side of Ordinary Corn & How It Harms Health
Corn and popcorn did not use to be harmful to human health; however, with advancements in modern science, corn has become toxic. Here are three main reasons why:
- Genetic Modification – with the development of genetically modified corn, the corn became very resistant to disease as well as able to handle lots of chemical sprays. Sounds good, but in order to protect the interests of the company that modifies the corn, it was also altered to stop producing seeds in the crops after the first or second generation. This modification had an interesting effect on the corn itself, allowing it to start decaying from the inside. Further testing revealed that corn induces infertility inside rats as well as creates tumors.
- Sprays – As soon as crops became genetically modified, they became resistant to certain diseases, but they also became weaker to others. Plant viruses also evolved to counteract these defenses, feeding off the heightened amounts of sugar found in the corn as well. To answer these problems, scientists devised chemical sprays to deter pests, insects, and diseases that may want to feed on the bigger yields. The plants are resistant to the chemicals themselves but tend to soak them up in the groundwater and remain embedded inside the corn. In recent years, these sprays have also been shown to cause cancer, damaging our genes as well as our immune systems.
- High Fructose Corn Sugar – since corn syrup started to become a favorite sugar substitute and GMO crops were the main supply, corn began to be altered in a way that allowed it to have more than double the amount of fructose compared to its wild cousins. High fructose in these quantities also causes cancer and creates continuous inflammation cascades in the gut. This inflammation starts to wear away the gut lining, often creating holes in the gut (a.k.a. leaky gut syndrome) and putting a literal puncture in our first line of immune defense!
What Growing GMO Crops Does For Our Planet
GMO corn is not healthy for us or our environment.
The sprays that are being used to keep the crop “healthy” damage the ecology as well as the soil itself.
Usually, many microorganisms fix nitrogen into the soil, aiding plants to grow, but these sprays destroy much of them, remaining in the soil after the crops get watered.
The water that runs off from the crops is also full of heavy metals and toxic chemicals.
This toxic water stays in the ground or runs off becoming toxic groundwater, also creating unsuitable living conditions for animals living around the place.
In many areas, lakes and rivers are polluted with this toxic waste-water, which begins to kill off fish and marine ecosystems as well.
Not only that, but the toxic water also starts to circulate inside the natural rain cycle, contaminating clouds and forming increased incidences of acid rain.
Health Benefits of Organic Corn
Organic non-GMO corn has many health benefits; on the other hand, and does not damage the environment to get produced. These are a few of the many health benefits inherent in organic popcorn and organic corn.
- Protects Heart Health – organic popcorn lowers LDL cholesterol as well as high blood pressure, full of beneficial cardioprotective nutrients. LDL cholesterol is also known as “bad cholesterol,” as it is the form of cholesterol that clogs our arteries. HDL cholesterol is healthy for us and essential for protecting our organs – corn happens to raise our HDL cholesterol levels too.
- Improves Eye Sight – Full of B vitamins and potent antioxidants like Vitamin A and E, organic corn will help to improve your eyesight almost as much as organic carrots do! Blood circulation improves in the eyes with these nutrients, as well as everywhere in the body.
- Contains Many Essential Minerals – wild corn is rich in minerals and vitamins like magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, zinc, and selenium. It also contains phosphorus, all of which are essential for healthy bone growth, regular heartbeats and optimally functioning kidneys.
- Controls For Diabetes and Hypertension – completely the opposite of what regular corn would do to your metabolism, wild organic corn will improve your glycemic intake and help to keep diabetes at bay! Reducing sugar levels in the bloodstream also contributes to control for hypertension and stressing in the body, keeping us calm and stabilizing our mood.
- Soothes Skin Irritations – pure corn even can soothe the skin and keep it free from irritations. Organic makeup and other similar pure cosmetics use corn as a basis, maintaining smooth skin and keeping it free from acne.
Reviews: Top-Rated Organic Popcorn Kernels
Don’t worry just yet; you can still eat organic popcorn! Here we have compiled a list of the best organic popcorn available online.
- This non-GMO brand of organic popcorn is completely organic and free from any harmful chemicals.
- It comes in an eco-friendly packaging that can be fully recycled.
- The shelf life of this product is three years, making it desirable to order in bulk.
- It comes in 1.5 lb bags and is gluten-free, as well as kosher.
- Produced in a certified organic facility, this brand of GMO-free popcorn has impressed many families in the US.
- Buy your favourite snack in bulk and increase your dietary enjoyment by that much more.
- It is certified organic by OCIA.
- Eden Organic Popcorn has been grown by small-scale family farms in the USA, supporting the local industry.
- The kernels have been carefully selected to produce the biggest, fluffiest, most delicious popcorn you have ever tasted.
- Add something nutritious to your diet that you would usually feel guilty for eating!
- Available in a pack of 12 x 20-ounce bags.
- It comes in a recyclable plastic bag with a zipper seal for freshness.
- This organic pure white popcorn has been USDA certified and uses very high quality organic corn kernels.
- It comes in a bulk pack of 6 x 24-ounce bags.
- Feel good about eating this nutritious snack that can be stored for up to 3 years at a time in your home!
- It is certified gluten-free and kosher.
- This corn is a fabulous source of dietary fiber and an excellent way to increase your vitamin and mineral intake too.
- Free from chemicals that may cause harm to you or the environment.
- The Great Northern Popcorn Company prides itself in presenting to you quality popcorn that you can trust.
- It comes sealed in a recyclable, eco-friendly bag, as the manufacturers make sure the product is completely sealed and free from moisture.
- This product is not only 100% organic but is also certified GMO-free!
- The yellow corn kernels have been selected for their great flavor, tender texture, and fluffy size when popped.
- Enjoy a snack that will not only improve your diet but keep you going for most of the day.
- Just Poppin corn kernels are of the highest quality yellow corn kernels, popping into monster sized fluffy popcorn.
- Delicious and flaky, this popcorn will help to improve your mood.
- The bad is completely sealed and has a zipper seal so that you can continue to keep the freshness in.
- One bag of 3 lbs is enough to give you up to 204 cups of popcorn.
- It is certified USDA organic and GMO-free.
- Produced in a facility that does not work with tree nuts or any other allergens such as soy.
- This organic yellow popcorn comes packed in bulk with minimal packaging.
- It is made for eating and not planting.
- The whole grain yellow corn kernels are high in fiber.
- This product is Certified organic by the Global Organic Alliance (GOA), as well as Certified USDA Organic and Non-GMO.
- The yellow popcorn comes fresh from the farm and grown in the USA.
- The heirloom popcorn kernels are 100% natural and minimally processed.
- They are raw, organic, Non-GMO Verified and Gluten-free as well as free of any artificial additives and chemicals.
- This package contains multi-color kernels such as azure, ruby, and golden and pops into a bountiful puff of white popcorn.
- It is a high fiber and low-calorie snack and does not pose any risk to health.
- This product is organically grown in small quantities in the USA.
- These organic popcorn kernels are USDA Certified and completely natural.
- This product is 100% grown and packaged in the USA.
- The yellow corn kernels are unpopped, Non-GMO, and Gluten-free.
- This corn is an all-natural plant-based snack that is high in fiber.
- It can be popped on the stovetop as well as electric or air popper.
- This product is USDA and CCAF Certified organic.
- McCabe products are manufactured per the industry standards and guidelines.
- This Organic corn is grown in fertile soil that is supported by indigenous soil microbes and enzymes as well as natural fertilizers.
- These yellow corn kernels are sun-dried in a special facility that combines traditional sun-drying methods with modern technology.
- It ensures higher vitamin D and mineral contents as compared to dehydrated corn.
Comparison Table: Top Choices of Organic Popcorn
Table of Contents
- The Dark Side of Ordinary Corn & How It Harms Health
- What Growing GMO Crops Does For Our Planet
- Health Benefits of Organic Corn
- Reviews: Top-Rated Organic Popcorn Kernels
- Quality Organic® Heirloom Popcorn Kernels Non-GMO Pure Organic Popcorn Kernels
- Eden® Organic US Popcorn USA Grown Pure Organic Popcorn Kernels
- Arrowhead Mills® Organic White Popcorn Certified Organic Popcorn Straight From Mill
- Great Northern Popcorn Company® Organic Kernels 100% Natural Organic Yellow Popcorn Kernels
- Just Poppin® All Natural Popcorn Entirely Organic Heirloom Popcorn Kernels
- Mulberry Lane Farms® Yellow Popcorn Popping Corn Kernels
- International Popcorn Co.® Raw Organic Heirloom Popcorn
- Anthony's Goods® Yellow Organic UnPopped Popcorn Kernels
- McCabe® Sun-dried Organic Popcorn Kernels
- Comparison Table: Top Choices of Organic Popcorn