A comforting bowl of organic oatmeal is as healthy as it is delicious.
Why? Because it doesn’t undergo many levels of modern food refining and processing.
In terms of nutrient profile and benefits, organic and conventional oats are on the same page.
However, organic oatmeal is safer to consume because it is not produced with chemical pesticides or fertilizers.
Reasons Why Oatmeal Is The Healthiest Breakfast
Here are six good reasons to eat oatmeal every day.
- Can Help You Go: Oats are full of both soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber helps to lower cholesterol and stabilize blood glucose levels. Whereas the insoluble fiber helps curtail constipation and improve tummy health.
- Oats Is Heart- and Colon-friendly: Oats contain avenanthramides, an antioxidant known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-itching activity. It also provides additional protection against coronary heart disease and colon cancer.
- Oats Is A Balanced Breakfast: A cup of cooked oatmeal contains about 150 calories, four grams of fiber, and six grams of protein. When swirled with almond butter or milk, oatmeal makes a great breakfast so you can forget those mid-morning visits to the vending machine.
- Oats Is Full Of Vitamins and Minerals: Oatmeal contains thiamine, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, selenium, iron, and more.
- Oats Are Gluten-Free: Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for gluten-intolerant people. Oats are naturally gluten-free
- Oats May Aid In Weight Management: Oats can keep you feeling fuller longer, thereby helping you manage the ‘extra’ pounds. As with any other food, have an eye on portion sizes.
Organic Oatmeal vs Regular Oats?
Organic oatmeal is made from certified organic oats, i.e., grown without the use of pesticides or chemical fertilizers (Organic certification allows a restricted list of pesticides derived from plant sources or pure chemicals like copper or sulfur sprays). Organic oats are also grown crop rotation or may involve the usage of green manure fertilizers and natural pest control methods. Additionally, organic oatmeal is non-GMO.
Regular oatmeal is made from oats that are grown with legally-allowed pesticides and fertilizers the farmers choose, and they may be GMO.
Another critical difference is the price. Organically grown oats are quite expensive. Both types can be used as cereals, in baked goods, energy bars, and granola.
Choosing The Healthiest Oatmeal
Whole grains are the best: Look for specific terms like ‘instant oats’ or ‘whole-grain rolled oats’ to be listed as the key ingredient. This ensures that you will receive plenty of health benefits.
Look for fiber: Choosing an instant organic oatmeal brand with at least 3 grams of fiber is what we highly recommend. The fiber will not only help you feel fuller longer but keeps blood sugar level stable.
Look (out) for sugar: The dark side of conventional instant oatmeal lies in the amount of added sugar in it. So, choose an unsweetened, organic one; if needed, you may add berries, honey, or cinnamon to the morning bowl of oatmeal.
Look (out) for sodium. Many instant oatmeal brands contain sodium (for enhancing flavor and preservative purposes). Choose organic oatmeals or the natural instant oatmeals that contain less than 200 milligrams of sodium per serving.
Reviews: Best Organic Oatmeal
Wanna know the best oatmeal brands that will help you start your day? Here are our top 5 picks. Don’t settle for less when it comes to your breakfast!
This instant oatmeal from Bob’s Red Mill is excellent because it contains organic rolled oats, natural cane sugar, and organic cinnamon. It doesn’t contain artificial flavors, used by other oatmeal brands.
It is certified organic, certified Kosher, and certified vegetarian – a big win in any organic aficionado’s book.
With this organic oatmeal, you can guarantee it’s not sprayed with any fungicides or pesticides, and it’s not genetically engineered.
Speaking of the nutrients, it pulls three grams of fiber and protein per serving. Additionally, it has low fat and sodium – do we need to say more?
Nature’s Path is one of the most popular organic oatmeal brands out there, and for a good reason. It’s organic. It’s delicious and creamy.
Made from organic rolled oats, it packs nutrients needed to keep you going: 190 calories, 3g fat, 34g carbs, 6g fiber, and 8g protein.
Best of all, it has zero cholesterol and sodium; and that’s a win-win, especially if you want to protect your heart.
It’s non-GMO oatmeal – the only ingredients listed are organic rolled oats and sea salt.
Great River Milling organic steel-cut oats are great when you’re in a hurry. Add frozen fruit, raisins, or berries to the oatmeal bowl, and then it is the best breakfast.
Moreover, this isn’t the regular rolled oats! It has a nuttier and chewier texture than the regular rolled oats; this one has a toasty look.
So, why is it on this list? It is certified organic, kosher, and has no fillers. Plus, you get 7 grams of protein and 5 grams fiber for each serving.
Yes, it takes time to cook; however, the slow process is definitely worth the time. Why? because it is ideal for people with diabetes or blood sugar issues.
Made from kilned, whole groats processed by steaming and flaking, Kauffman’s Fruit Farm oat flakes are proof that you can get a delightful bowl of goodness with zero sugar, cholesterol, and sodium.
Nutritional Info: Each serving of this oatmeal provides 110 calories, zero milligrams of sodium, three grams of fiber, and four grams of protein.
Add a tablespoon of almond butter, a handful of cut berries, and some toasted sliced almonds. The almonds will pump up both protein and fiber even more, and you’ll get a satisfying breakfast.
Not only is this oatmeal non-GMO, but it is organic, too.
Do you like trying organic whole oat groats and nothing else? Then Royal Lee Organics Organic Gluten-Free Oat Groats is the perfect packet for you.
That means it is neither cut nor rolled like most oatmeal brands out there. You can grind into flour or cook and eat as a rice substitute – the choice is yours!
USDA Organic, gluten-free, and non-GMO, the grains come in high-pressure vacuum-sealed packages.
You can also feel right about this one because there’s no added sodium and no added sugars. Plus, it gives 8 grams of protein and 5 grams of dietary fiber, making it an excellent food choice for your family.
- You can make a hearty and healthy breakfast with these Great River Organic Milling oats in under two minutes.
- The oats have organic whole grain that is rolled into oats for quick cooking to be meal ready.
- They contain a high amount of fiber to improve the health of your digestive and circulatory system.
- Moreover, the oats are ground at cool temperatures to maintain enzyme activity and protein levels in them.
- Get the GF Harvest steel cut organic oats, which are roasted and steamed to have a longer shelf life.
- They cook evenly in a few minutes to give you a healthy and hearty meal for breakfast.
- The oats are 100 whole-grain without any contamination of other allergy-causing ingredients to be safe for people with allergies.
- Each oatmeal batch goes through rigorous testing for 5PPM gluten content for you to trust the authenticity of the brand.
- The Earnest Eats oats have a delicious maple flavor to make your morning breakfast exciting and nutritious.
- It has the goodness of protein-rich whey along with probiotics to be easy on your stomach throughout the day.
- You will feel a higher level of energy and attentiveness with this organic superfood addition in your breakfast.
- Additionally, the oats have Quinoa and puffed Amaranth in the mix to make it rich in flavonoids and antioxidants.
- You can consider the plant-based Be Still Farms oatmeal, which is low in carb for the calorie-conscious people.
- The oats are low in cholesterol and have polyphenols, antioxidants, avenanthramides, anti-inflammatories, and beta-glucan.
- Your gut health and digestive system will have a better functioning with the high fiber content of the oats.
- It comes in an eco-friendly packaging which can be recycled to reduce the carbon footprint on the environment.
- This is a 24-ounce pack of 100% Whole grains that are USDA Certified Organic.
- It is rich in fiber, low in saturated fat and cholesterol, and gives many health benefits.
- These oats pair well with fresh or dried fruits, as well as nuts and cinnamon.
- It is Non-GMO Project Verified, and does not contain any artifical flavors, colors, or preservatives.
Index Table: Top Rated Organic Oatmeal
|1||Bob's Red Mill Organic - Instant Oatmeal||Bob's Red Mill||97|
|2||Nature's Path Organic - Original Instant Oats||Nature's Path||97|
|3||Great River Milling Organic - Steel Cut Oats||Great River Milling||98|
|4||Kauffman's Fruit Farm Organic - Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats||Kauffman's Fruit Farm||97|
|5||Royal Lee Organics USDA - Oat Groats||Royal Lee Organics||97|
|6||Great River Organic Milling Whole Grain - Organic Oatmeal||Great River Organic Milling||98|
|7||GF Harvest Roasted - Organic Oatmeal||GF Harvest||97|
|8||Earnest Eats Protein - Maple Oatmeal||Earnest Eats||94|
|9||Be Still Farms Plant-Based - Microwaveable Organic Oatmeal||Be Still Farms||98|
|10||Quaker Old Fashioned - Rolled Oats||Quaker||97.6|
Table of Contents
- Reasons Why Oatmeal Is The Healthiest Breakfast
- Organic Oatmeal vs Regular Oats?
- Choosing The Healthiest Oatmeal
- Reviews: Best Organic Oatmeal
- Bob's Red Mill® Organic Instant Oatmeal
- Nature's Path® Organic Original Instant Oats
- Great River Milling® Organic Steel Cut Oats
- Kauffman's Fruit Farm® Organic Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
- Royal Lee Organics® USDA Oat Groats
- Great River Organic Milling® Whole Grain Organic Oatmeal
- GF Harvest® Roasted Organic Oatmeal
- Earnest Eats® Protein Maple Oatmeal
- Be Still Farms® Plant-Based Microwaveable Organic Oatmeal
- Quaker® Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- Index Table: Top Rated Organic Oatmeal