Who doesn’t enjoy a delicious piece of chocolate now and then? Organic chocolate contains vital minerals and nutrients that our bodies often crave.
Find out more about how chocolate can benefit your health and some of the top features of the best organic dark chocolates on the market.
Health Benefits of Organic Natural Cacao
Cacao is a plant that has been cultivated all over the world since ancient times, known throughout many centuries for its stimulant effects and energy-boosting qualities.
Nowadays, the purest forms of chocolate are considered superfoods due to their rich content of natural plant compounds called polyphenols.
Cacao polyphenols, such as resveratrol, are found in the highest quantities in dark chocolate. The darker the chocolate, the healthier it is for you!
These polyphenols are also what gives chocolate it’s distinctly addictive flavor too.
The polyphenols found in cacao spans over four different types, 92% of which are -epicatechins, a very potent group of antioxidants.
These anti-oxidants proved useful in chelating metals and helping to protect against free radicals let loose inside us.
Trace amounts of caffeine and theobromine are found, which can be useful in minute doses for our bodies. Chocolate is also a rich source of trace minerals that we need, such as copper and magnesium.
Great Tasting All Natural Flavors for Extra Goodness
Here are some facts and flavors you may have never associated with cacao or chocolate before:
- Mint – mint tastes great in chocolate and makes one feel good. This is because mint contains compounds that aid digestion, breathing, and calms us down. Mint is also anti-spasmodic! Some people have big reactions to cacao, in which case mint could help in a good quality organic dark chocolate.
- Basil – strange yet true, basil chocolate is not only delicious but will help you to sleep if eating chocolate keeps you awake at night. Basil is great for calming one’s stress levels, too, blocking an impactful stress hormone in the body from being released, much like some forms of pain killer.
- Chili – if you like the spicy explosion chili-chocolate has to offer, you are probably craving something exciting to improve your mood. Nothing could be closer to the truth with chili chocolate! The compounds inside chili excite the taste buds and cause inflammation inside of us with the burn. Our bodies create anti-inflammatory cascades to counterbalance these and leaving us feeling in great spirits after the burn dies down. When combined with chocolate, it enhances the deepness of the flavor and adds complementary health effects.
- Vanilla – pure organic vanilla has some great health benefits and is an immensely popular addition to chocolate everywhere! The main ingredient in vanilla is vanillin, providing amazing antioxidant protective effects and that flavor we all love.
”Pure” Dark Chocolate Additives to Avoid
Certain ingredients that are added to chocolates can be avoided for health concerns and to minimize reactions for sensitive chocolate lovers:
- Milk Solids or Powders – these are highly refined components of milk and tend to harm our digestive systems.
- Excess Cacao Butter – cacao butter in high quantities has been shown to have negative side effects on the liver, resulting in drastic mood swings in some individuals. This is one of the main reasons dark chocolate is healthier than white chocolate, aside from the polyphenolic content.
- Artificial Flavorings – most organic dark chocolate manufacturers do not add synthetic flavors or artificial enhancers to their mixes. These flavors are in small quantities, but they accumulate over long periods and cause damage to our health.
- Vegetable Fats – hydrogenated vegetable fats such as palm oil, are not good for heart health or vascular health. These fats add to bad cholesterol and make us fat. Coconut oil or cacao butter are the best oils for the chocolate to include.
- Aluminium Packaging – usually chocolate wrapped in aluminum absorbs some of this toxic metal. Luckily chocolate has enough polyphenols to help protect against the effects – yet if you can find organic dark chocolate that is not wrapped in aluminum, take the opportunity to indulge your body in the health benefits!
Reviews: Best Organic Dark Chocolates
Have a look at our selection below of impeccable organic dark chocolate, made to melt in your mouth.
- The full bodied flavours are attributed to the exotic trinitario cacao beans used to make this artisan chocolate bar.
- A delicious drop of organic vanilla essence and some cacao butter makes this 85% dark chocolate incredibly smooth.
- This delicious cacao bar is USDA certified as being organic, as well as Fair Trade and UN Ethically Sourced Chocolate approved.
- Enjoy a block of this intense dark chocolate in your mouth without worrying – every ingredient is of the finest organic quality!
- Available in bulk packs and other flavors too.
- This chocolate is available in a pack of 12 3-ounce bars of pure delicious organic cacao.
- Completely GMO-free and 100% organic.
- Soy-free and completely vegan.
- This chocolate has a mildly intense dark flavor that will work well in natural desserts or as a delicious daytime treat.
- This bar is artisan made, meaning it was hand-crafted with much care and masterful attention.
- Enjoy the delicious flavor of this healthy treat!
- The most delicious healthy all natural gourmet chocolate is here!
- Experience a deep immersion into pure chocolate flavors with this intense 88% dark chocolate.
- Fairtrade, USDA, gluten-free, and vegan certified.
- This chocolate bar is more than just a chocolate purchase – the manufacturers are dedicated to helping save endangered species and the environment.
- Comes in a 12 pack for convenience.
- No chocolate connoseur will pass up the opportunity to try an exotic new flavour! What about Basil infused chocolate?
- Rich in flavor and health benefits, this chocolate is also produced by a family-based business and packed full of love.
- Completely GMO-free and organic products were used in the making of this, including GMO-free soy lecithin to emulsify (where necessary).
- The makers of this artisan chocolate will give you all your money back if you are not satisfied.
- 70% organic dark chocolate blend.
- A percentage of the profits go to local school kids in Mexico near where the chocolate is produced, to help the community there.
- This makes the ideal organic kid’s lunch time snack at school or office snack during the day at work.
- Organic dark chocolate of this quality will boost your energy levels up and leave you with a better mood throughout the day.
- Help yourself to focus by purchasing this abundant source of cacao polyphenols.
- This snack is suitable for diabetics, having a low glycemic index and no refined sugars in it.
- Completely organic and 100% GMO-free.
- No allergens, soy, gluten, or dairy were used in the making of this dark chocolate.
- Vegan approved.
- Get the full dose of your cacao polyphenols by jumping straight to 100% pure cacao itself!
- Experiment with your natural chocolate making at home or enjoy beverages and baked goods.
- Adds exceptional nutrition and delicious taste when added in small amounts to any nut butter – eat Nutella all day without putting on weight.
- The chocolate powder has a full count of healthy polyphenols and antioxidants, which aid digestion and help protect you against the effects of stress.
- Use pure cacao in your smoothies and start your day with an energy boost, thanks to the -epicatechins and caffeine inside cacao powder.
- Individually wrapped chocolates that are perfect for your daily dairy indulgence.
- It is made from all-natural vegan and organic ingredients with high cocoa content.
- It comes in 100 packs, and you can choose between different flavors and Cacoa percentages.
- Certified USDA organic, gluten-free, and GMO-free vegan ingredients with cane sugar, cacao, cacao butter, and organic soy and vanilla.
- Sugar-Free and comes in different variety of packs.
- Made with super herbs and handcrafted responsibly.
- Feature Paleo, Keto organic, Non-GMO, vegan, Gluten in Soy-free, safe.
- Bean to bar distribution and manufacturing.
- Available in different flavor options as well as variety packs.
- It comes in a set of 12 individually wrapped 55% dark chocolate bars.
- It is made from all-natural and organic ingredients that are certified and ethically sourced.
- Vegan and gluten-free, as well as Kosher.
- This box of organic dark chocolate truffles contains three pieces each of Chili Mango, Berry Berry, Creamy Hazelnut and Dark Espresso.
- It is organic and GMO-free without any gluten.
- It is tested for allergies.
- Creek House organic dark chocolate truffles taste best when fresh and at room temperature.
- This organic dark chocolate powder is made from all-natural and organic ingredients with high cocoa content.
- It comes in a 2-pack bundle, which is individually sealed.
- It is made with certified organic, gluten-free, and GMO-free vegan ingredients
- Green & Black’s dark chocolate powder is the best choice for kids as well as adults.
- This organic dark chocolate powder is vegan and is made of raw and pure organic Cacao Powder.
- It contains a rich supply of Magnesium.
- It is Kosher-free and Gluten-free.
- Andean Treasures Organic Dark Chocolate powder can be the best choice for you if you are a dark chocolate lover.
- This organic dark chocolate bar is made with the best quality Cocoas.
- It is available in six varieties of taste and tone.
- It is equally suitable for vegetarians.
- Michel Cluizel Organic Dark Chocolate bar is manufactured in France.
Index Table: Top-Rated Organic Dark Chocolate
Table of Contents
- Health Benefits of Organic Natural Cacao
- Great Tasting All Natural Flavors for Extra Goodness
- ”Pure” Dark Chocolate Additives to Avoid
- Reviews: Best Organic Dark Chocolates
- Green & Black’s Organic® Dark Chocolate Organic Vanilla Infused Dark Chocolate
- Theo Chocolate® Dark Cacao Bar 70% Pure Dark Organic Chocolate
- Endangered Species® Organic Dark Chocolate 88% Rich Eco-friendly Dark Chocolate
- NuGo® Herby Dark Chocolate Decadant Healthy Basil Flavored Dark Chocolate Bar
- Righteously Raw Chocolates® Dark Chocolate Bites 83% Intense Dark Chocolate Mini Bars
- Pure Natural Miracles® 100% Cacao Powder Raw Organic Dark Chocolate Cacao Powder
- Nib Mor® Assorted Organic Dark Chocoalte
- Mandala Chocolate® Variety Pack Organic Dark Chocolate
- Theo® Root Beer Barrel Organic Dark Chocolate
- Creek House® Vegan Organic Dark Chocolate Truffles
- Green & Black's® Organic Dark Chocolate Powder
- Andean Treasures® Raw Organic Dark Chocolate Powder
- Michel Cluizel® Noir Organic Dark Chocolate Bar
- Index Table: Top-Rated Organic Dark Chocolate