While COVID-19 is taking the world by storm, it all begins from a simple lack of immunity. And though it sounds exuberating to work towards improving immunity, not everyone knows the right direction.
So here we have the most natural ways to increase your immunity level, which may form a barrier against catching an infectious illness.
Please note that any information on this page does not constitute medical advice.
Anything related to COVID-19 – please refer to the CDC Website.
Healthy Ways To Strengthen Your Immunity
Your daily life choices also have an impact on your immunity. Have a look at the simple practices that can elevate your immune system. Please note that the following suggestions are in line with Harvard Medical School.
- Follow a Healthy Diet – A well-planned diet will ensure that you get the right amount of the nutrients, for an overall healthy body.
- Minimize Stress & Sleep Well – The present-day work culture is replete with stress with an unending competition, inter and intra-businesses. But stress works as a silent killer and depletes your body’s nutrition. Proper sleep, however, is a great solution.
- Exercise & Meditate – Exercising enhances the level of absorption of nutrition from the food you consume. Plus, meditation works as a stress reliever.
- Quit Smoking – Smoking has a direct negative impact on your lungs. Forget boosting immunity; Smoking is an open invitation to respiratory infections.
Why Elderly Have Lower Immunity?
The elderly have featured among the maximum victims of the Coronavirus pandemic. This highlights the fact that people over 65 have a higher need for boosting immunity. Here are the reasons.
- Thymus Shrinkage – Thymus is an important organ for immunity, as it is the location of maturity of White Blood Cells (WBC). But with age, thymus shrinks in size to up to 15%.
- Slowing of Macrophages – Macrophages help in ingestion of antigens (like virus). But aging reduces its efficiency.
- Antibody Reduction – As you age, the body produces lesser antibodies while the number of antigens stays the same. Thus antigens can thrive, resulting in the prominence of respiratory infections in older people.
- Diabetes – Since most elderly care diabetic, they naturally become susceptible to lesser immunity.
Things To Take Care of While Using Immunity Boosting Supplements
If you choose to opt for consuming health supplements to boost your immunity, here are some important things to keep in check.
- Check Product Label – The markets are flooded with multiple variants of every supplement. In such a scenario, each one comes with its pros and cons. And thus, it becomes imperative to be cautious of the information mentioned on their labels. Read it carefully before buying and consuming.
- Consult Medical Professional – While supplements come with multiple benefits, they might not work the same way for everyone. It is important to consult your doctor before consumption of any supplement.
- Do Not Overdose – While many supplement brands will claim that the overdoses have no side effects, better safe than sorry. Besides, decide your dosage as per doctors advice.
- Check Your Diet – If you are consuming a certain supplement, be cautious not to consume anything that may overproduce the specific elements in your body. Or negate the supplement’s action.
Short Video on Supplements for Boosting the Immune System
#1. Elderberry – Prevents Cold Via Anti-Oxidants
- Contains Essential Elements – The tiny berries of the Elderberry plant are jam-packed with many essential antioxidants and vitamins that have an augmenting action on your immunity. The antioxidants limit the production of free radicals, which otherwise damage body cells.
- Scientifically Researched – While health professionals have recommended these berries for ages, many studies also support its effectiveness in preventing and easing cold and flu symptoms.
- Prevents Virus Entry & Spread – Elderberry is known to suppress the entry of the virus into your body cells, and if entered, it inhibits virus transmission to other cells. Besides, it also regulates the formation of IL-6, IL-8, and TNF, which indirectly induce protection against infections.
- Reduces Recovery Time – One study even mentions that Elderberry Syrups help in relieving cold symptoms four days earlier, and severely reduces the use of other flu drugs.
- Dosage – It may be consumed as and when you feel the onset of an infection in your throat. Possible dosage shall be one tablespoon three to five times a day, for two days.
#2. Quercetin – Controls Germ Killing Proteins
- What is Quercetin? – The little known Quercetin is a plant pigment that occurs naturally in many fruits, vegetables, grains, and leaves. And also one of the most abundant antioxidants.
- How It Works? – Quercetin related studies suggest that it exhibits antiviral properties like inhibiting the infection as well as its replication in the body cells. It does so by governing the proteins that aid apoptosis (systematic killing of (virus) cell), cell cycle, and replication of antioxidants, among others.
- Daily Dosage – Though Quercetin supplements can be consumed daily, the exact dosage depends on age and other health factors. Most products in the market suggest two to four tabs a day, but you may need a physician’s consultation for the right one.
#3. Vitamin D3 – More Than Bone Health Booster
- Impact on Genes – Even though the positive benefits of Vitamin D on human bones are not new knowledge, it also helps in fighting viral infections. In particular, Vitamin D3 or Calcitriol binds to intracellular receptors that subsequently work as transcription factors that modulate gene expression. Thus regulating genes.
- How Gene Regulation Kills Virus? – Now, this gene regulation is essential for the body cells to produce proteins when needed to kill the viruses. Thus, Vitamin D3 indirectly boosts the proteins required to fight infection.
- Other Benefits – All in all, Vitamin D3 aids bone density, cardiovascular health, cellular function, and immune system.
- Dosage – For dosage, 5000 IU can be consumed each day, or as recommended by your nutritionist.
#4. NAC – Eases Respiratory Infection & Symptoms
- Aids Glutathione Production – NAC or Acetylcysteine is not an essential nutrient but has multiple benefits for those who frequently get under the weather. The most crucial application of NAC is in the production of Glutathione, an antioxidant that reduces the inflammation in your bronchial tubes and lung tissue.
- Clears Mucus – Thus NAC helps in easing the symptoms of respiratory conditions and clears the mucus in your airways by thinning it.
- Bronchitis Relief – It even helps in chronic Bronchitis by soothing the inflammation as well as blockage. Subsequently, the frequency of wheezing and coughing also diminishes.
- Dosage – One research states that 600 mg of NAC, when consumed twice a day, can considerably enhance lung function and symptoms of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
#5. Zinc – Activates White Blood Cells
- How Zinc Works? – Zinc has a direct bearing on your immunity since it is Zinc that is required to activate T lymphocytes or T cells. These are a type of White Blood Cells that are chief constituents of immunity. Besides, T Cells also directly attacks the infected and even cancerous cells.
- Zinc is an Important Element – One study demonstrates that people with a higher deficiency of Zinc are more susceptible to infectious diseases.
- Reduces Common Cold Cycle – Zinc Supplements have also been found to be able to reduce the cycle of a common cold by at least 40%. Plus, when consumed within 24 hours of first symptoms, it works more potently.
- Dosage – Most zinc supplements contain chelated Zinc, which enhances its absorption by the body. The different chelated versions of Zinc are zinc picolinate, zinc citrate, zinc acetate, and zinc monomethionine. Of these zinc picolinate has the best absorption rate. However, do not consume more than 40 mg per day, unless recommended by doctor.
#6. Vitamin C – Helps In Killing Viral Microbes
- WBC Protection – Vitamin C helps in the production and protection of White Blood Cells (lymphocytes & phagocytes), which is your body’s armor against infection.
- Reduces Flu Symptoms & Recovery Time – First popularized by Nobel Prize winner, Linus Pauling, Vitamin C has now been proven to reduce symptoms of cold and the recovery time by 8% in adults.
- Working Mechanism – Its plan of action is to accumulate in the phagocytic cells (neutrophils) and then augment the processes of chemotaxis, phagocytosis, and production of free radicals. And these processes together result in killing of viral microbes.
- Right Dosage – Since Vitamin C is hard for the body to absorb, an excess dosage might lead to diarrhea like conditions. So it’s essential to take your dose with caution. However, six to eight grams a day for adults is deemed sufficient.
- This liquid herbal extract is designed to support the healthy function of the body’s immune system.
- It is an easily absorbed liquid that engages the sense of taste and smell to help the body recognize and use the ingested herbs.
- It is developed by extracting the goodness from the certified organic root of Echinacea purpurea plants grown on Herb Pharm’s own southern Oregon farm, in small batches.
- This product is alcohol-free, vegan, non-GMO, as well as gluten-free, with herb identity assured via HPTLC fingerprinting and other methods specific to each herb.
- It contains ayurvedic adaptogenic herbs to support immune health and offer respiratory support.
- This Immune Support Kit includes three key Ayurvedic herbs that work together to support immune health.
- The first product in this Immune Boosting kit is Amla, which is known as “The Caretaker,” due to its immune supportive and restorative properties.
- The second product is Turmeric, which has been used in Ayurveda for its purifying properties and often referred to as “a pharmacy in an herb”, for centuries.
- The last product is Tulsi, an ancient adaptogen traditionally used to support immune, respiratory function. It is also known as Holy Basil in India and is used to help relieve stress and promote a sense of well-being.
- All the products in this kit are USDA Certified Organic, non-GMO Project Verified, and Vegan, grown with regenerative agriculture and produced in our LEED Platinum Certified facility.
- This package contains one 200g jar of Om Mushroom Immune Superfood Powder.
- The Mushrooms used in this immune-boosting powder are known as Adaptogens and extremely healthy.
- This product is certified 100% organic, non-GMO, gluten-free, vegan.
- It combines seven species of mushrooms for broad-spectrum immune support.
- It also contains Reishi and Turkey Tail for added benefit and better absorption.
- This unique and powerful team of immune, respiratory, and lymphatic herbal ingredients support the body’s natural resistance against disease.
- It comes in liquid form as liquids are more easily absorbed by the body, and make it easier to customize the serving size.
- This product is made by a staff of highly trained herbalists, and with quality-tested ingredients to produce this signature formulation that soothes, nurtures, and supports the body.
- All the suppliers for these herbs go through an extensive screening process and meet our high standards for sustainability and quality.
Summary Table: Best Supplements to Boost Your Immune System Naturally
|1||Gaia Organic - Elderberry Immune Support Syrup||Gaia||98.9|
|2||Douglas Labs Antioxidant Support - Quercetin Bromelain Complex||Douglas Labs||98.5|
|3||Doctor's Best Softgel - Vitamin D3 Supplements||Doctor's Best||98.2|
|4||NOW Foods Veg Capsules - NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine) Supplements||NOW Foods||97.8|
|5||Solgar 22 mg - Zinc Picolinate Supplements||Solgar||97.4|
|6||NATURELO 500 mg - Vitamin C Supplements||NATURELO||97.1|
|7||Herb Pharm Liquid - Organic Echinacea Root Extract||Herb Pharm||96.7|
|8||Organic India Herbal - Immune Support Kit||Organic India||96.3|
|9||Om Organic Mushroom Nutrition Immune - Organic Mushroom Superfood Powder||Om Organic Mushroom Nutrition||95.9|
|10||Wishgarden Kick-Ass - Organic Immune Activator||Wishgarden||95.5|
Table of Contents
- Healthy Ways To Strengthen Your Immunity
- Why Elderly Have Lower Immunity?
- Things To Take Care of While Using Immunity Boosting Supplements
- Short Video on Supplements for Boosting the Immune System
- #1. Elderberry – Prevents Cold Via Anti-Oxidants
- #2. Quercetin – Controls Germ Killing Proteins
- #3. Vitamin D3 – More Than Bone Health Booster
- #4. NAC – Eases Respiratory Infection & Symptoms
- #5. Zinc – Activates White Blood Cells
- #6. Vitamin C – Helps In Killing Viral Microbes
- Summary Table: Best Supplements to Boost Your Immune System Naturally