We love mattresses that are free of harsh chemicals and fire retardants. This article is for you if you are searching online for the best organic mattress.
Below we’ve jotted down our top 5 picks. Without further ado, let’s go over the natural, eco-friendly, and organic mattresses on the market.
Organic Mattress Vs Traditional Beds
Traditional bedding options include innerspring beds with multiple foam and fiber layers, memory foam beds, latex mattresses, and waterbeds. Most of these mattresses have polyurethane foams, polyester fabrics, vinyl, or pressboards.
Additionally, they often undergo chemical treatments like bleaching and dyeing. Sometimes, they get treated with antimicrobials, flame retardants, and petroleum-based chemicals. These compounds, in turn, release potentially harmful volatile compounds into the air.
Over time, these chemicals trigger skin allergies and other health issues. Hence, an organic mattress is a healthy option here.
Organic mattresses include innerspring beds with organic padding made of plant-based poly foams, organic cotton, wool, or latex from organically grown trees.
Benefits of Organic Mattress
- Hypoallergenic materials: Organically grown wool and latex are hypoallergenic as they aren’t treated with chemicals or pesticides.
- Free of high-VOC chemicals: Organically sourced raw materials ensure bedding is free of VOC chemicals that cause long-term health issues.
- No microbial growth: Moisture build-up and fungal growth won’t be there in organic wool mattresses. Similarly, organic mattress toppers are also resistant to dust mites. So it is a perfect pair for your organic mattresses.
- Flame resistant: Organic wool mattresses won’t pose an ignition or flaming threat as they have low flame speed. Plus, it self-extinguishes and doesn’t emit dangerous chemicals when burned.
- Less impact on environment: Pesticide-free, bleach-free, and cruelty-free practices are good for the environment, too.
Organic Certifications for Mattress
We know that terminologies like ‘natural,’ ‘organic,’ ‘eco-friendly,’ or ‘100% Pure’ are unregulated. For any mattress to be certified by USDA, it must be 95% organic and meet standardization criteria.
Other important certifications are,
- GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard): GOTS-certified mattresses will contain more than 95% certified organic fibers in them.
- GOLS (Global Organic Latex Standard): This is a third-party standard for organic latex. The certification demands the latex used to be at least 95% organic.
- GREENGUARD: It is an independent certification that demands environmental tests for about 360+ chemicals. The certification standard also specifies that a mattress should be low in VOCs, phthalates, formaldehyde, and other harmful chemicals.
- CRADLE TO CRADLE: A standardization that ensures the organic latex, wool, or fiber does not contain chemicals that may threaten the environment.
Reviews: Top Rated Organic Mattress
We hope you love the products we recommend!
So that you know, We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
- Perhaps the most comfortable mattress on this list, this crib mattress by My Green Mattress is handcrafted using GOTS-certified organic cotton.
- It also features Oeko-Tex certified 100% Natural Eco-wool quilted cover and organic coconut pad.
- This kid-friendly mattress also boasts a heavy-duty 150 coil innerspring for better support and comfort.
- Its eco wool is naturally flame retardant, so you don’t have to worry about toxic chemical exposure.
- The GREENGUARD Gold Certified mattress is certified free of heavy metals like lead.
- This is the safest mattress for your family, completely free from polyurethane foams.
- A non-toxic, hypoallergenic, eco-friendly mattress that provides better comfort and relaxes the body.
- It adjusts automatically to your body temperature and weight to maximize comfort. Also, it reshapes itself every time you change your sleeping posture.
- Live and Sleep mattresses are CertiPUR-US Certified and are produced without toxic chemicals or bleaches.
- Furthermore, the foam in this mattress is OEKO-TEX Certified. The brand uses recycled packaging to reduce its carbon footprint further.
- The mattress’s latest airflow technology is used to provide better contouring and ventilation.
- Featuring a multi-layered design to provide utmost comfort at night, Oliver and Smith’s mattress is made of 100% green foam-certified foam.
- The top cover of organic cotton provides ample ventilation, so you stay cool and have a luxe sleeping experience.
- The 6” cooling comfort memory foam is non-toxic. The Euro pillow top in the mattress ensures adequate softness.
- It is ideal for people with lower back pain, neck pain, or spinal discomfort. So, get your hands on it ASAP. It is one of the softest organic mattresses out there.
- Compared to competitor brands, this sturdy, comfortable mattress is super affordable, too.
- Sleep on Latex has designed their 100% Natural Latex Foam mattress for optimum comfort. It comes with GREENGUARD Gold Certification and has no poly foam, synthetic latex foam, and blended latex foam.
- On the exterior, you’ll find 100% organic cotton. On the inside, it features a cover made from New Zealand wool.
- Cotton offers the utmost comfortable sleep, whereas wool regulates the body temperature for a good night’s sleep. The wool is naturally fire-protectant, too.
- The mattress is available in three forms – soft, medium, and firm. All three varieties offer great motion isolation.
- Remember, it has a low to medium degree of bounce.
- The Zenhaven Mattress is made of 100% all-natural Talalay latex for a natural, breathable, and pressure-free sleep experience.
- Talalay latex is also hypoallergenic, mold, microbe, and dust-mite-resistant. Plus, it is long-lasting and doesn’t break down or sag.
- Other good materials for this mattress are 100% organic New Zealand wool and cotton.
- No synthetic chemicals and petroleum-based compounds are involved in the manufacturing process.
- Additionally, the organic cotton fabric is treated with Guardin® botanical antimicrobial fabric treatment. That means you can use it comfortably, knowing it won’t let bacteria grow.
- Happsy combines a healthy mattress design with exceptional comfort.
- The Happsy Certified Organic Twin XL provides comfortable medium-firm support with premium natural materials.
- Beneath the organic cotton surface, pocketed springs are made without glues or adhesives to provide support. The springs are topped with two inches of organic latex and wool batting for a dreamy cloud-like feeling.
- Happsy is made without heat-trapping foams, so you’ll sleep more comfortably. The breathable coil system and moisture-wicking wool give heat somewhere to go, which helps keep you cool and comfortable all night long.
- This mattress is made without memory foam or other polyurethane foam, flame retardants, formaldehyde, pesticides, GMOs, or glues/adhesives.
- It is certified Organic and Non-toxic by GOTS and GOLS standards.
- This highest-rated, non-toxic foam comes with a 100% Natural Organic Cover and Ventilated Cooling Memory Foam.
- It offers independent, superbly pocketed 15-gauge pocket coils.
- The euro pillow top is employed for added softness and to give it a comforting plush feel.
- It is ideal for people with back issues.
- Smith & Oliver mattress is 100% Green Foam Certified Foam.
- This mattress is hybrid, i.e., it is made with Cooling Natural Dunlop Latex Foam and coupled with the Contouring Support Core of Premium Pocketed Coils.
- This combination offers pressure relief on your neck, shoulders, back, and hips and keeps the spine in neutral alignment and body weight evenly distributed for a restful sleep.
- The plush Euro Top cover is made with soft, humanely sourced New Zealand wool and organic cotton.
- The natural Dunlop Latex Foam is sourced from locally grown real rubber trees.
- The wool promotes optimal cooling and airflow while absorbing moisture naturally and keeping dust mites away, whereas the breathable organic cotton enhances moisture-wicking and adds a soft touch.
- Every component of this mattress has been certified by GOTS as organic or non-toxic.
- The breathable organic wool and encased coils promote airflow for a cooler, less sweaty sleep.
- This mattress has no flame retardants or adhesives, and it is Greenguard Gold certified.
- The double-layer coils are soft on top and firm and supportive on the bottom to provide the perfect balance.
- The mattress surface is organic cotton, whereas the quilt is made from Organic wool/PLA and filled with organic cotton batting.
- The 6 inches of 100% natural Dunlop latex infirm (85 density), 2 inches of 100% Talalay latex in medium (N2 density), and ½ inch of 100% natural wool work together to create the most comfortable and balanced mattress for a restful sleep.
- The 100% all-natural latex mattress is a pure, botanical product sustainably harvested from the Hevea Brasiliensis tree.
- It contains no harsh chemicals and provides a buoyant, cloud-like sensation for the ultimate sleep experience.
- It comes with a unique 2-in-1 design. The Latex for Less Latex Mattress has both a medium and a firm side, making it the perfect mattress for everybody.
- The California wool is all-natural and breathes better than synthetic substitutes, which works to regulate your body temperature throughout the night and provides a natural flame-resistant fire barrier without synthetic chemicals.
- It is handcrafted in the USA.
Index Table: Top Rated Organic Mattress
|1||My Green Mattress Organic - Cotton and Natural Eco-Wool||My Green Mattress||99.1|
|2||Live and Sleep Eco-Friendly - Gel Memory Foam Mattress||Live and Sleep||98.7|
|3||Smith & Oliver 100% Natural - Cool Memory Foam Mattress||Smith & Oliver||98.4|
|4||Sleep On Latex 100% Natural Latex - Mattress||Sleep On Latex||98.1|
|5||Zenhaven Eco friendly - Latex Mattress||Zenhaven||97.8|
|6||Happsy Healthy - 100% Organic Mattress||Happsy||97.5|
|7||Smith & Oliver Organic Cotton - Deluxe Sleep Mattress||Smith & Oliver||97.2|
|8||Awara Hybrid - Organic Mattress||Awara||96.7|
|9||Naturepedic Chorus - Organic Mattress||Naturepedic||96.2|
|10||Latex for Less Natural - Latex Mattress||Latex for Less||95.8|
Table of Contents
- Organic Mattress Vs Traditional Beds
- Benefits of Organic Mattress
- Organic Certifications for Mattress
- Reviews: Top Rated Organic Mattress
- My Green Mattress® Organic Cotton and Natural Eco-Wool
- Live and Sleep® Eco-Friendly Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- Smith & Oliver® 100% Natural Cool Memory Foam Mattress
- Sleep On Latex® 100% Natural Latex Mattress
- Zenhaven® Eco friendly Latex Mattress
- Happsy® Healthy 100% Organic Mattress
- Smith & Oliver® Organic Cotton Deluxe Sleep Mattress
- Awara® Hybrid Organic Mattress
- Naturepedic® Chorus Organic Mattress
- Latex for Less® Natural Latex Mattress
- Index Table: Top Rated Organic Mattress