Many individuals are very sensitive when sleeping on ordinary pillows, and this is likely because they are not made with natural ingredients, or they are made with feathers.
The Problem with GMO Cotton
Allergies – Genetically Modified Cotton has shown to cause allergies in many people, unbeknownst to them.
Irritation – Itchy eyes, irritated skin, or even respiratory problems have resulted from wearing GMO cotton clothing or sleeping in GMO cotton bed linen.
Eczema – In some cases, eczema has been linked to being in contact with GMO cotton.
Chemicals – The biggest problem with the cotton is the chemical sprays that are used, as well as any dyes, chemicals, and additives that are added during the manufacture of the material.
Low Immune System – You need to purchase organic cotton where possible for infants, toddlers, and small children.
Water Pollution – Aside from these problems, the farming of GMO cotton has robbed many parts of the world of vast supplies of water.
Pesticides – Cotton is one of the world’s thirstiest plants, and now that it is GMO, it has been made to withstand pesticides and chemical sprays, which have been proven to decrease the fertility of the soil and dry the land out further.
Purchasing GMO cotton goods is not an environmentally conscious action and furthers the destruction of Earth’s ecosystem.
Synthetic Pillow Chemicals To Avoid
Synthetic pillows made from foam, shredded foam, microfibers, and more often have been treated with chemicals in the process of manufacturing.
If you read the instructions carefully, they usually require that you air them out for a day or two before you can use them, due to their toxicity.
Some sources say that these chemicals attach to dust and encourage dust mites to fester inside them!
Here are some of the chemicals found in synthetic pillows and why we should want to avoid them:
- Formaldehyde – this is a toxic chemical that has proven to cause cancer and infertility in many people. It’s best to double-check that your synthetic products are “formaldehyde-free.”
- Flame Retardants – flame retardants are linked to cancer, infertility, neurological disorders and developmental delays in body growth. These chemicals are incredibly toxic to us.
- Petrochemicals – petrochemicals are also linked to acquiring cancer as well as respiratory problems and growth inhibition.
Features of a Good Organic Pillow
Here are some of the top organic pillow features and materials available.
- Organic Cotton Cover – It’s important that the pillow is covered with an all-organic cotton cover. Otherwise, you may have an allergic reaction. Particularly important for babies and children.
- Buckwheat – these triangular seeds form a pillow more comfortable than memory foam when slept on. They bunch together, allowing you to sink in a little bit and prove to be one of the best organic pillow fillings. Here’s a great article on the Best Buckwheat Pillows
- Hypoallergenic Cluster Fibers – while these fibers are manmade, they are a better alternative to goose or duck down feathers if that’s what you prefer. Unfortunately, even if the geese or ducks eat only organic food and are free-range, it will not prevent an allergic reaction from occurring in sensitive individuals.
- Organic Wool – Wool is an incredibly soft filling material that is highly breathable and regulates temperature no matter what season it may be. One of the plus sides of wool is that is can keep you warm in places that snow.
- Removable Covers – in many cases, organic pillows do not come with a removable cover and cannot be inserted into the washing machine to be cleaned. It’s advisable to purchase one with a removable cover or to buy a removable cover to suit your needs.
Reviews: Best Organic Pillows
Have a look at our best selection of organic pillows, all of which are natural and free from any chemicals that can harm you.
- This organic body pillow is made from premium eco-wool batting, which is covered in a pristine white organic cotton covering.
- The cover is not removable, so it is recommended to purchase one with a zipper.
- This body pillow comes in a pair or on its own.
- Ideal for those who battle to sleep with their pregnancy or for side sleepers who need to get more comfortable.
- You can wash the pillows at low intensity in cold water in a washing machine.
- Free from harmful chemical additives and GMOs.
- Made using wool from organic sheep.
- These cluster fiber pillows are made especially for toddlers and infants, being free from all chemicals, dyes or flame retardants.
- Cluster fibers are hypoallergenic, dust mite resistant, and never go flat or clump.
- Fully machine washable to help parents clean up after the baby makes a mess.
- It is made to be the perfect size for your toddler to get the best rest at night.
- Three-year guarantee.
- The Celeep is a parent-run business based in the US, whereby all products are made with the safety of your child in mind.
- Made in USA.
- This Organic pillow is made from pure organic cotton covering and stuffed with a pure organic cotton filling.
- A 300 thread count ensures hotel-level quality, comfort, and softness.
- Has a luxurious sateen finish for a smooth effect.
- This pillow is not suitable for washing in a washing machine. Therefore it is recommended to purchase a removable cover.
- This product does not contain added chemicals, dyes or finishes.
- Dust Mite Resistant and hypoallergenic.
- Doctor Endorsed.
- Made in USA.
- The seeds of the buckwheat plant make an exceptionally amazing organic pillow stuffing.
- Similar to the properties of several chemically treated foams, buckwheat pillows can cradle an exact 3D contour of your head and neck, keeping your neck straight.
- This organic pillow alleviates pressure points from the back and neck.
- One of the best advantages of buckwheat is that it’s naturally breathable and does not require any chemicals to treat it with.
- Buckwheat is very durable, but not machine washable (unless you want to have a sprouting pillow!).
- It is covered in 100% pure unbleached organic cotton.
- This pillow can alleviate migraines, stress, tension, pressure, or neck pain.
- An ancient oriental secret, buckwheat has been used to stuff pillows for emperors and peasants alike.
- Buckwheat will help to keep your neck in alignment, acting in the same capacity as memory foam.
- These hulls have natural gaps between them to allow air to flow through, making them incredibly ‘Tempurpedic.’
- It is covered in non-removable organic cotton covering.
- Indulge your neck and head by resting on a bed of buckwheat hulls.
- Free from all chemicals, flame retardants, and harmful finishes.
- Not machine washable.
- A toddler design pillow that is safe and comfortable for toddlers and younger children.
- Covered with a 100% Organic cotton shell cover.
- Filled with pure polyester fibers that are hypoallergenic and safe.
- A comfortable soft and plush pillow that is fully washable.
- A Hypoallergenic and adjustable pillow that comes in a standard size.
- It offers a unique adjustable design to get the perfect loft.
- It is covered with a 100% organic cotton cover.
- Convenient for travel and compact in size.
- It comes in options of different sizes and firmness to choose from.
- Made with a fill of 100% all Natural and Organic Latex.
- Covered in a breathable 100% organic cotton cover.
- High-quality manufacturing and craftmanship in a comfortable and hypoallergenic pillow.
- A chemical and odor-free all-natural Buckwheat Pillow.
- GOTS Certified organic with no added chemicals or synthetic materials.
- Adjustable loft for better alignment and comfort,
- Refillable design with a natural cotton cover.
- Choose between either a Bamboo or Cotton cool tough casing which is both natural and breathable.
- It is filled with premium Organic Buckweahet.
- Adjustable and refillable design.
- Avbailable in dfferetn size options.
- Available in different size options as well as a medium or soft loft choice.
- It is filled with Certified and organic sourced wool.
- Ideal for allergy-prone individuals.
- Soft and plush comfort.
- A certified Organic Cotton Fill pillow.
- GOTS Certified pillowcase from organic cotton.
- Hypoallergenic and soft plush feel.
- No chemicals or petroleum-based fabrics or additives.
- This MoonRest organic cotton pillow comes with a cotton cover.
- This pillow supports the neck and head at night owing to the soft filling inside.
- It uses innovative technology to produce high-quality products with unique designs and fillings.
- The organic cotton used is grown without the use of pesticides, chemicals, herbicides, flame-retardants, or fungicides as well as Azo-free dyes and heavy metals.
- This cover fabric is hypoallergenic, machine washable, and comes with a zippered enclosure.
- This organic natural latex offers a resiliency that is similar to memory foam and supports the head and neck and does not go flat.
- It uses GOTS Certified Organic Cotton and 100% Cotton Lining, as well as GOLS Certified Organic Natural Latex, made from sap harvested from rubber trees.
- The pillows are designed with a zipper lining to allow for adjustable feeling, based on your needs.
- This product is machine washable and breathable, as the latex filling allows greater air circulation.
- The pillow cover is made with 100% organic cotton with a thread count of 233.
- It is filled with natural 30% White Goose Down 70% White Goose Feather.
- The odorless pillows are finished with double stitching and self-piping, to prevent down leakage, although a little feather leak is normal.
- Each package includes 2 pillow pieces.
- These pillows are made from 100% organic cotton to keep your mind and body at ease whenever you sleep.
- The cotton used in this pillow is grown without any chemicals and harmful sprays or off-gassing.
- These pillows are breathable and cooling as they do not retain heat.
- The adjustable pillows come medium filled to provide you the ideal height and thickness for a night of comfortable sleep.
Comparison Table: Top Rated Organic Pillows
|1||Holy Lamb Organics Full Body Pillow - Wool Stuffed Organic Body Pillow||Holy Lamb Organics||97.2|
|2||Celeep Organic Toddler Pillow - Cluster Fiber Fill Pillow for Toddlers||Celeep||95|
|3||Naturepedic Cotton Kapok Pillow - Standard Size Organic Cotton Kapok Pillow||Naturepedic||96|
|4||Beans72 Buckwheat Pillows Standard Pillow - Pure Organic Face Mapping Buckwheat Pillow||Beans72 Buckwheat Pillows||98|
|5||Natures Pillows Sobakawa Buckwheat Pillow - Completely Natural Organic Buckwheat Pillow||Natures Pillows||97|
|6||My Little North Star Toddler - Organic Pillow for Toddlers||My Little North Star||96|
|7||Lofe Standard - Organic Pillow||Lofe||96|
|8||Organic Textiles Latex - Organic Pillows||Organic Textiles||98|
|9||Zen Chi Standard - Buckwehat Organic Pillow||Zen Chi||96|
|10||Pine Tales Premium - Organic Buckwheat Pillow||Pine Tales||98|
|11||Lifekind - Organic Wool Pillow||Lifekind||97|
|12||Magnolia Organics - Organic Cotton Pillow||Magnolia||96|
|13||MoonRest Cotton - Organic Cotton Bed Pillow||MoonRest||95.6|
|14||PureTree Shredded - Organic Latex Pillow||PureTree||95.1|
|15||Eastwarmth Natural - Goose Down & Feather Pillows||Eastwarmth||94.7|
|16||OrganicTextiles Kid - Organic Cotton Filled Pillow||OrganicTextiles||94.2|
Table of Contents
- The Problem with GMO Cotton
- Synthetic Pillow Chemicals To Avoid
- Features of a Good Organic Pillow
- Reviews: Best Organic Pillows
- Holy Lamb Organics® Full Body Pillow Wool Stuffed Organic Body Pillow
- Celeep® Organic Toddler Pillow Cluster Fiber Fill Pillow for Toddlers
- Naturepedic® Cotton Kapok Pillow Standard Size Organic Cotton Kapok Pillow
- Beans72 Buckwheat Pillows® Standard Pillow Pure Organic Face Mapping Buckwheat Pillow
- Natures Pillows® Sobakawa Buckwheat Pillow Completely Natural Organic Buckwheat Pillow
- My Little North Star® Toddler Organic Pillow for Toddlers
- Lofe® Standard Organic Pillow
- Organic Textiles® Latex Organic Pillows
- Zen Chi® Standard Buckwehat Organic Pillow
- Pine Tales® Premium Organic Buckwheat Pillow
- Lifekind® Organic Wool Pillow
- Magnolia® Organics Organic Cotton Pillow
- MoonRest® Cotton Organic Cotton Bed Pillow
- PureTree® Shredded Organic Latex Pillow
- Eastwarmth® Natural Goose Down & Feather Pillows
- OrganicTextiles® Kid Organic Cotton Filled Pillow
- Comparison Table: Top Rated Organic Pillows