From regular to organic, virgin to extra virgin, refined to cold-pressed, there are a lot of coconut oil types out there. So, what makes the best – organic label, nutrient profile, extraction process, or ethical GMP standards?
Let’s go over everything you need to know about organic coconut oil – including its benefits, tips to choose the best natural coconut oil, and best organic coconut oil brands.
Is Non-Organic Coconut Oil A ‘No-No’?
Before answering this tricky question, here are a few basic things for you to better understand the types of oils and their nature.
- Extraction method: Regular coconut oil comes from dried coconut kernel. The oil extracted is refined, bleached, and deodorized before it hits the market.
- Appearance: Refined coconut oil may have a slight color variation than the virgin or extra virgin varieties.
- Nutrients: The nutrient content is almost the same. Both organic and non-organic coconut oil contains medium-chain triglycerides. If the oil is hydrogenated, it might contain unhealthy trans-fat.
- Health benefits: Compared to regular coconut oil, organic/virgin coconut oil is a healthier choice. Because some nutrients get lost while bleaching or deodorizing.
Hope you’ve got the right answer by now! Want to know organic coconut oil’ benefits? Read on.
Benefits of Organic Coconut Oil
- Supports immunity: Organic coconut oil is jam-packed with lauric acid, an immunity booster.
- Promote heart health: Add it to your diet as it is loaded with healthy fats that are good for your heart.
- Give you instant energy: It stimulates metabolism and keeps you energetic and active.
- Support thyroid function: Organic coconut oil can stimulate the thyroid gland to keep your health and hormones in balance.
- Good for skin and hair: Organic coconut oil improves your skin, hair, and nails thanks to its moisturizing property.
- Increase cell regeneration: Cell regeneration speeds up when the metabolic rates are optimum. This means that your body will replenish the dead cells more quickly.
- Has anti-viral, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial activities: Lauric acid and other nutrients may fight off fungus, bacteria and the viruses that cause influenza, herpes, and other illnesses.
- Improve insulin secretion: It is good for maintaining insulin levels in the circulation.
How To Choose Natural Coconut Oil
In order to choose the best natural coconut oil, one must know these terminologies.
- Cold Pressed Coconut Oil: It is extracted from the coconut at a controlled temperature. That means the nutrients in the coconut remain intact.
- Organic Coconut Oil: If it says ‘organic’ look for standardization labels of USDA or the Organic Food Federation logo to confirm the claim. This type of coconut oil is extracted from sustainably grown coconut trees.
- Raw Coconut Oil: This type is extracted using minimal heat (40-45 Celcius), so you get the oil in its most natural state.
- Refined vs. Unrefined (Virgin): Refined coconut oil is made from dried coconut (copra), and it may include bleaching and deodorization. Whereas, unrefined coconut oil is made from fresh, mature coconuts without any processing. Unrefined coconut oil is also known as Virgin coconut oil.
- Fair Trade: This type of oil is not only natural and eco friendly but community friendly as well. Fair trade coconut oil means the coconut farmers get a fair share from the price/profit.
Reviews: Top 5 Organic Coconut Oil
Looking for a great quality organic coconut oil? Take a look at our best natural coconut oils.
- If you wish to get the best organic coconut oil, we’d like to draw your kind attention to Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.
- The nutrient-rich and delicious oil is cold-pressed from organic coconuts and perfect for cooking purposes. You could use it as an alternative to butter.
- It is deeply nourishing and hydrating as well. That makes it a perfect organic coconut oil for hair care routine as well. Don’t worry – it doesn’t make your hair greasy.
- This coconut oil is USDA-Certified Organic, non-GMO, and gluten-free. Plus, it is grown and harvested sustainably without using chemicals and pesticides.
- Next up isn’t an oil, but coconut oil capsules! Yes, it is an organic superfood to charge your bio-batteries, boost metabolism, rejuvenate skin, hair, and nail, and also for weight management.
- It is made of the purest cold-pressed, unrefined, organic, extra virgin coconut oil in a GMP certified facility in the USA.
- These 180 coconut soft gels are GMO-, solvent-, preservative-, artificial ingredients-, and magnesium stearate-free.
- Additionally, they are free of soy, gluten, milk, eggs, yeast, fish. It contains plenty of MCT oil that acts as a natural energy source.
- Raw Virgin Coconut Oil by Biona is another natural coconut oil that we wish to highlight the features.
- The oil can tremendously improve your energy levels when taken as a supplement because it contains 857kCal energy.
- More than that, it can also be used as a natural conditioner for skin and hair. It deeply nourishes and moisturizes the scalp.
- It is unrefined, unbleached, non-deodorized, and non-hydrogenated. Plus, it is free from GMOs, cholesterol, and trans-fat.
- Containing only certified organic ingredients, it is dairy-free and vegan-friendly, too.
- Another most favored virgin coconut oil on the market by Pure Life Tropics! The most amazing thing about it is that, it is harvested, extracted and bottled on the same day.
- It is 100% cold-pressed, organic, and has no GMO. It is a raw coconut, so it as all nutrients and healthy enzymes to give more health benefits.
- Since it is cold-pressed, it preserves all enzymes, medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), and fatty acids.
- Being an excellent moisturizer, it penetrates deep into your skin to replenish it. It also adds a healthy glow by keeping the skin hydrated.
- An all-rounder raw extra virgin coconut oil that is appropriate for cooking and still recommended as a skin and hair care agent.
- Made from sustainably grown coconut trees, it is USDA certified organic, non-GMO, and gluten-free.
- As it is cold-pressed and unrefined, it retains all Medium-Chain Triglycerides (MCTs) for weight management.
- You may also use it as a dietary supplement to boost energy levels. Consume it as a liquid or solid form.
- The melting point of this natural coconut oil is 76 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- This light and nourishing organic liquid coconut oil promotes a healthy-looking fresh skin.
- It conditions dry, damaged skin and hair and provides deep nourishment.
- It is a versatile natural oil that is super-light and opens clogged pores.
- NOW Foods’ organic coconut oil is ideal for dry skin, hair, and nails.
- This organic coconut oil is all natural, processed through cold-press extraction.
- It is free of dangerous and harmful chemicals and heat.
- It is an ideal addition to your food.
- It has natural moisturizing and deep conditioning properties.
- Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil is USDA organic certified and packaged in safe BPA-free packaging.
- This organic coconut oil is the best oil for yourself and your baby as it provides perfect nourishment for young and sensitive skin.
- It is 100% natural and chemical-free.
- It is perfect for massaging your baby’s little feet and toes, to enhance blood flow and health glowing skin.
- Cocobelle Baby’s organic coconut oil is eczema-friendly and heals dry scalp, skin sores, nappy rash, and inflammation.
- It is produced in 100% recyclable packaging.
- This organic coconut oil is the best choice for soft, supple, and beautiful skin and shiny hair.
- It is rich in Vitamin E and essential fatty acids, which help reduce blemishes, wrinkles, age spots, stretch marks, and dark spots.
- It is without grease and stickiness.
- Coco & Co organic coconut oil has been the best selling coconut oil since 2014.
- The unrefined coconut oils are not hydrogenated, bleached, refined, or deodorized.
- This product is USDA Certified Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, RAW, Certified Vegan, Pareve MK Kosher, Gluten-Free, and Dairy-Free.
- This pure coconut oil dietary supplement is an excellent source of healthy fat-burning medium-chain fatty acids for weight loss and management.
- It is among the healthiest dietary oils in the world and delicious for cooking, baking and in smoothies.
- This coconut oil for hair & skin can be used for deep conditioning hair treatment or natural skin moisturizer.
Index Table: Top Rated Organic Coconut Oil
|1||Viva Naturals Organic - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil||Viva Naturals||98.7|
|2||YounGlo Research Extra Virgin - Coconut Oil Capsules||YounGlo Research||98.1|
|3||Biona Cold pressed - Raw virgin coconut oil||Biona||97.6|
|4||PureLifeTropics Organic - Raw Virgin Coconut Oil||PureLifeTropics||97.2|
|5||NutriBioPlanet Organic - Cold pressed Coconut Oil||NutriBioPlanet||96.5|
|6||NOW Foods Pure Fractioned - Organic Liquid Coconut Oil||NOW Foods||95.7|
|7||Nutiva Virgin - Organic Coconut Oil||Nutiva||95.1|
|8||Cocobelle Baby Extra Virgin - Pure Organic Coconut Oil||Cocobelle Baby||94.2|
|9||COCO & CO The Purest - Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil||COCO & CO||93.7|
|10||Garden of Life Extra Virgin - Organic Coconut Oil||Garden of Life||93.4|
Table of Contents
- Is Non-Organic Coconut Oil A ‘No-No’?
- Benefits of Organic Coconut Oil
- How To Choose Natural Coconut Oil
- Reviews: Top 5 Organic Coconut Oil
- Viva Naturals® Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- YounGlo Research® Extra Virgin Coconut Oil Capsules
- Biona® Cold pressed Raw virgin coconut oil
- PureLifeTropics® Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil
- NutriBioPlanet® Organic Cold pressed Coconut Oil
- NOW Foods® Pure Fractioned Organic Liquid Coconut Oil
- Nutiva® Virgin Organic Coconut Oil
- Cocobelle Baby® Extra Virgin Pure Organic Coconut Oil
- COCO & CO® The Purest Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Garden of Life® Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil
- Index Table: Top Rated Organic Coconut Oil