Did you know that using conventional laundry detergent is harmful to both you and the planet?
For more info, read below about why you should switch to organic laundry detergents, toxic ingredients to avoid as well as a brief look at organic laundry detergent features.
The Importance of Using Organic Laundry Detergent
Every time you wash one load of your clothes in the washing machine, you use ±20-40 gallons of water.
Each time you use this water, it goes through a series of pipes that eventually end up letting it leach into the soil.
The vast amounts of chemicals in detergent are then allowed to seep into the ground and infiltrate the environment.
On average, 82% of the United States use washing machines to wash about 300 loads per years.
That’s ±78 billion loads per year, which amounts to ±2.3 trillion gallons of chemical wastewater circulating the environment.
These chemicals are also not the healthiest for us or our skins.
Many people who have allergies may not be realizing that they are reacting to the chemicals in their clothing (fixed in by their washing detergent).
Organic laundry detergent is healthy for us and does not damage the environment.
4 Harmful Ingredients In Ordinary Laundry Detergent
The below ingredients are toxic to your health as well as our planet. Avoid these five common laundry ingredients:
- Fragrances – Fragrance is another name for a bunch of chemicals placed together to make something smell nice. Many of these compounds do not need to be listed, but when privately tested, have been shown to induce skin irritation and respiratory problems.
- Bleach – Bleach is toxic for you, infamous for irritating the skin, eyes, and the lungs.
- Brighteners – Brighteners are chemicals that have been selected for their UV light trapping ability. These make the close seem cleaner than they truly are, leaching these toxins straight into your skin.
- Phosphates or EDTA – Phosphates are one of the main problems with using pesticides on our food. They are also added to laundry detergent to aid with washing in hard water. Phosphates are very bad for the environment, causing algal bloom when in contact with water. EDTA is another compound which has been used in its place but has been shown to be toxic and non-biodegradable in following studies.
Best Features of Organic Laundry Detergent
These are some of the best features of organic laundry detergents:
- Biodegradable – Laundry detergents that are biodegradable are a big plus. Even if it’s organic, or derived from natural sources, if the product is biodegradable then you know it works and is also eco-savvy.
- Petrochemical Free – Many of the toxins described in the section above are petrochemicals. This means they are synthetically derived from petroleum, which in itself is toxic for us.
- Certified Organic – Organic certification is best as manufacturers are allowed to use the word ‘natural’ to describe products made from petrochemicals. This is because this is a resource found in nature, but it is still toxic for us.
- Essential Oils – Essential oils are a gift from nature, conferring lovely scents to our garments and protecting them from disease or pests. Essential oils are also healthy for us and do not damage the environment.
- Hypoallergenic – Organic Laundry detergents tend to be the most friendly to those with sensitivities or allergies.
Reviews: Best Organic Laundry Detergent
Below is our premium selection of reviewed organic laundry detergents, ready to gently wash your clothes without harming our Earth!
- This landry soap detergent is a gentle plant-based paste that can be watered down to give 264 loads, which is almost an entire year’s supply.
- Free from animal cruelty as well as artificial chemicals and fragrances, this organic detergent was made mostly using organic ingredients and plant extracts.
- The soaps used to make this detergent are handmade, giving it a good quality and extra love!
- The base of this detergent is a soothing coconut base, allowing anyone to use it, even with allergies.
- Healthy for you and healthy for the environment, save money and time by purchasing some of this eco-savvy laundry detergent today!
- Indigo Wild presents their all organic and entirely natural liquid laundry soap, which can be used to flawlessly replace chemical-based detergents.
- Frankincense and Myrrh essential oils have “fragranced” this washing detergent, leaving a delightful and medicinal aroma on your clothes and skin.
- This laundry detergent is free of petrochemicals, parabens, phosphates or sulfates, making it healthy for you and your family.
- Use this in high-efficiency or HE machines for the perfect wash that will keep even your most sensitive clothes in excellent condition.
- Perfect for use to launder the clothing of those with allergies or chemical sensitivity.
- This organic bio-based laundry detergent is ideal for you and the eco system, not contributing to pollution.
- The Purclean formula is made at a facility that uses 100% renewable wind energy in the spirit of conserving resources.
- The manufacturers also do not send off any waste to the landfill during the making of this product.
- The base formula is made from natural coconut derived solubles, organic enzymes and plant-based agents that work together to make your clothes feel and smell fresh.
- Imparts a delightful honey-lavender scent into your clothes, soothing skin and calming your nerves.
- Mrs. Meyers clean day laundry detergent is all about getting the job done naturally without compromising quality.
- At a double concentration, this detergent is compatible with HE machines, naturally enriching clothes with 97% organic ingredients.
- Eco-friendly and biodegradable, wash your clothing guilt-free with this natural plant-based formula.
- Free of Phthalates, Chlorine, Formaldehyde, Artificial Colors, Parabens, Animal Derived Ingredients, MEA, DEA, and Optical Brighteners.
- This laundry detergent is very potent but still safe to use on all types of clothing without damaging them.
- This detergent is one of the best organic ones for those who have sensitive skin, containing essential oils and extracts to soothe you.
- The all natural feel and the smell of your clothing after a wash with this will leave you feeling clean and fresh.
- No chemicals were added to this eco-savvy detergent, made entirely from natural ingredients such as essential oils.
- Eco-Me is officially cruelty-free and takes a stand against animal cruelty, as well as human safety.
- The ingredients are non-toxic and safe to use without harming our eco-system.
Index Table: Top Organic Laundry Detergents
|1||Tangie Natural Laundry Soap - Organic Laundry Detergent Soap Paste||Tangie||98|
|2||Indigo Wild Zum Clean Laundry Soap - Concentrated Organic Liquid Laundry Soap||Indigo Wild||98|
|3||Tide Purclean Formula - Eco Savvy Bio Based Laundry Detergent||Tide||95|
|4||Mrs. Meyers Laundry Detergent - Organic Biodegradable Laundry Detergent||Mrs. Meyers||97|
|5||Eco-Me Organic Laundry Detergent - Natural laundry Detergent From Plant Extracts||Eco-Me||95|
Please Rate this Article:
Table of Contents
- The Importance of Using Organic Laundry Detergent
- 4 Harmful Ingredients In Ordinary Laundry Detergent
- Best Features of Organic Laundry Detergent
- Reviews: Best Organic Laundry Detergent
- Tangie® Natural Laundry Soap Organic Laundry Detergent Soap Paste
- Indigo Wild® Zum Clean Laundry Soap Concentrated Organic Liquid Laundry Soap
- Tide® Purclean Formula Eco Savvy Bio Based Laundry Detergent
- Mrs. Meyers® Laundry Detergent Organic Biodegradable Laundry Detergent
- Eco-Me® Organic Laundry Detergent Natural laundry Detergent From Plant Extracts
- Index Table: Top Organic Laundry Detergents