Most people, especially women, spend a lot of time on hair care and styling. However, you cannot make a good style if your hair is dull and dry. Read on to find out how you can nourish your hair at home using all-natural, organic ingredients.
DIY Nourishing Hair Masks
1. Egg Mask
2. Yogurt Mask
3. Bottle Gourd Juice Mask
4. Beer Mask
5. Baking Soda Shampoo
6. Honey Conditioner
7. Apple Cider Vinegar Wash
- Egg Mask – Egg masks are excellent for the hair because they are full of protein. They also contain Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Folate, and Biotin, all of which are good for hair health. If you have dry and brittle hair, use a thoroughly mixed egg and apply it to your hair for half an hour. Wash and rinse with cold water afterward.
- Yogurt Mask – Like eggs, yogurt is also rich in protein. Yogurt is known to strengthen the hair shaft, recover any damage and also prevent split ends. For a protein-packed mask, mix yogurt and egg and make a thick mask. Apply it to the hair strands and massage on to the scalp as well. Leave on for 30 minutes to an hour and then wash thoroughly.
- Bottle Gourd Juice Mask – Bottle gourd contains many Vitamin B, which has a naturally soothing effect on the hair. In addition, its anti-frizz and has a cooling effect on the scalp. Make bottle gourd juice and apply it to the hair and scalp. Keep it on for 30 minutes, and then wash thoroughly.
- Beer Mask – Surprisingly enough, beer contains many vitamins and proteins, which can be beneficial for hair health. When applied directly, beer can nourish and hydrate the hair, bring a sheen to it, and stimulate hair growth. Pour some beer directly onto wet hair, distributing it evenly on all sides. Massage onto the scalp and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Then, wash and rinse thoroughly to ensure no beer smell stays behind.
- Baking Soda Shampoo – Baking soda is an effective remedy for people with especially oily hair. It is made up of a single ingredient called “sodium bicarbonate,” which is a base that neutralized acids, dissolves oil, dirt, and residue, as well as exfoliate. Make a loose paste with baking soda and water and rinse the hair with this shampoo solution. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and then wash off.
- Honey Conditioner – Honey contains many antioxidants that protect and strengthen the hair and protect it against oxidative damage. Moreover, it is an excellent humectant and keeps the hair moisturized thoroughly. For shiny and smooth hair, mix your regular conditioner with a few tablespoons of honey and apply it to wet hair. After 30 minutes, wash and rinse thoroughly.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Wash – Much like baking soda, Apple cider vinegar keeps the scalp pH balanced while also keeping it clean and free of bacteria, as well as oil and residue through exfoliation. It also promotes hair growth and health. After shampooing your hair, wash it with a mixture of apple cider vinegar and warm water. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then wash off thoroughly. This will result in shiny, bouncy hair.
Tips and Tricks to Nourish the Hair
1. Avoid Hot Water
2. Trim Regularly
3. Use a Proper Brush
4. Beware of Pool Water
5. Let Air-dry
6. Let Wet Hair Be
7. Mask Regularly
8. Use Mild Hair Products
9. Know Your Hair
10. Practice a Balanced Diet
- Avoid Hot Water – Hot water can damage hair quality and dry out the scalp. For anyone looking to nourish and protect their hair, washing it with hot water is a big NO.
- Trim Regularly – More often than not, our hair develops split ends. These split ends, if left alone, can damage the hair and weaken them, resulting in dry and dull hair. To prevent split end damage, it is ideal for trimming your hair once every six weeks. This will also increase and speed up hair growth.
- Use a Proper Brush – Hairbrushes come in a lot of designs and styles. Make sure to use the one that is appropriate for your hair type. Combs with plastic bristles are known to break hair due to static electricity. Start from the ends and work your way upwards while gently untangling the hair. Finish with long strokes from the roots of the hair to the tips.
- Beware of Pool Water – Swimming pools contain harsh chemicals to purify the water and keep the pool clean. While these harsh chemicals do their job, exposing your hair to them can cause damage. Apply some conditioner to your hair before swimming, or wear a swim cap to keep the hair protected.
- Let Air-dry – When you wash your hair, it’s best to let them air dry. Using a blow dryer or any other styling device that uses hot air can damage the hair. Moreover, wet hair is fragile, so the damage caused may destroy the structure of the hair. Therefore, the best thing is just to let them dry in the air.
- Let Wet Hair Be – When your hair is wet, it’s at its weakest. Therefore, brushing wet hair results in easy breakage and a lot of hair fall. Moreover, rubbing the hair between a towel or using a towel to dry the hair can also cause hair breakage. Therefore, it is best just to let your wet hair be.
- Mask Regularly – Regardless of what ingredients you choose for the mask, it is imperative to apply a hair mask at least once every week. This makes sure that your hair is nourished and cared for regularly. Refer to the above-mentioned DIY mask ideas and choose your favorite!
- Use Mild Hair Products – Harsh chemicals can harm the hair. They can damage the scalp and cause over-dryness, which results in an overproduction of oils and dry out the hair strands, leaving them dull and dry. One such chemical in shampoos to look out for is sulfate. Ensure your shampoo is sulfate-free and preferably herbal or infused with naturally nourishing ingredients. Also, ensure that you use organic hair spray and conditioner for healthy hair.
- Know Your Hair – Buy hair care products depending on your hair type, such as thick hair, thin hair, etc.; as well as your hair problems like dry scalp, dull hair, etc. Using products that suit your hair works properly on the hair and provides maximum benefit. In contrast, products that do not target your hair type and issues may cause adverse effects.
- Practice a Balanced Diet – Whether it’s your skin, nails, hair, or any other aspect of your health, eating a balanced diet is crucial for proper health.