Essential oils are all the rage these days. They come in all shapes and sizes. Finding the best quality oil is an essential aspect of using essential oils, however, knowing which essential oil fits your needs best is an altogether different matter. Continue on to find out about the best essential oils available in the market and learn how to incorporate them in your life.
Best Essential Oils and Their Benefits
2. Tea Tree
9. Ylang Ylang
12. Lemon and Orange
- Lavender – One of the most popular and versatile essential oil out there, Lavender is known most for its calming properties. Lavender essential oil is known to promote relaxation and relieve symptoms of anxiety, stress, and depression. It can also aid in conditions such as insomnia, nausea, menstrual cramps, as well as fungal infections, allergies and eczema when applied topically in a diluted form. Due to its relaxing properties, it is a great help in getting a restful night of sleep. According to research, it increases the amount of slow and deep wave sleep in people. It is commonly used in aromatherapy, although it can be applied topically on temple, wrist, or neck before bedtime to surround you with its relaxing scent. For the same reason, it can be spritz on the pillow directly, or onto a paper towel to out under your pillow.
- Tea Tree – Tea tree essential oil is also known as Melaleuca oil. It is obtained by steaming the leaves of Australian Tea Trees. When applied topically, tea tree oil is known to have anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-inflammatory properties. It is commonly used to treat acne, lice, nail fungus, insect bites, and even athlete’s foot. Tea tree oil can also be used in a diffuser. Diffused oil is used to treat colds and coughs.
- Bergamot – Bergamot oil is derived from the rinds of the citrus fruit that grows on Bergamot Orange trees. It features a distinctive soothing and spicy fragrance. Bergamot essential oil is very intense and is anti-septic and prevents the growth of bacterial and microorganisms. Moreover, it is also known to relieve pain and its accompanying symptoms such as muscle spasms. It also helps fight against skin infections.
- Peppermint – Peppermint oil comes from a hybrid herb that combines spearmint and watermint. It is known for its fresh minty fragrance and its many benefits. In its essential oil form, it can be inhaled and absorbed after diffusing with water, or applied to the skin after diluting it. Peppermint is used in aromatherapy for treating common coughs and cold, reducing stress, improving mental capabilities, and can also help reduce pain. When applied topically, peppermint oil can be used to treat itching, headaches, as well as muscle and joint pain.
- Chamomile – Chamomile essential oil comes in two major varieties; Roman and German. Roman chamomile is most commonly used. Chamomile features effective soothing and calming properties. It is also anti-inflammatory, as well as antiseptic and antibacterial to help you fight off any viruses and bacterial infections. It is known to calm the nerves, and relieve anxiety, depression, and also induce a calming and restful sleep. Chamomile essential oil is a known pain reliever, along with being a healing agent. It can heal anything from wounds and ulcers to eczema and inflamed skin.
- Jasmine – Jasmine essential oil is derived from the Jasmine plant that has been used for centuries for its sweet and romantic scent. Jasmine essential oil has many benefits, although not all of them are backed by research at the moment. It is a known anti-depressant due to its stimulating and activating effects on the brain and body. It regulates blood flow and oxygen saturation, along with breathing rate and blood pressure, all of which contribute towards relieving depression and anxiety. Moreover, it is also anti-septic and anti-spasmodic. It is mostly known as an aphrodisiac.
- Eucalyptus – Eucalyptus essential oil is mainly used as a medicinal oil. It can be used as a soothing agent to treat asthma, nasal congestion, and other such conditions and common diseases. When applied topically, it can be used to treat and clean wounds and infections, as well as to ease joint pain. Eucalyptus essential oil also works wonderfully to repel bugs and insects, and is tick-repellant.
- Geranium – Geranium essential oil is derived from a native South African plant. It can be applied to the skin topically, as well as inhaled through a diffuser. Geranium essential oil is anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, anti-septic, and anti-inflammatory. It can be applied topically to treat acne, dermatitis, and other similar conditions. Inhaling geranium essential oil can soothe the nerves and help you relax.
- Ylang Ylang – Ylang Ylang essential oil comes with a slightly floral and spicy fragrance. It is known to be anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and anti-bacterial. Inhaling diffused Ylang Ylang essential oil can enhance libido and boost your mood, while also helping you relax. It relieves symptoms of pain and reduces inflammation. When applied topically, it works to promote wound healing and diminish the appearance of scars. It is also naturally insect repellant.
- Patchouli – Patchouli essential oil is derived from a perennial herbaceous plant that is native to Asia. It is commonly used to treat skin conditions such as Acne, dermatitis, as well as dry and cracked skin, when applied topically. Otherwise, it is used to relieve symptoms of cold and cough, headache, nausea. Patchouli essential oil can also be used to fight against depression, stress, and anxiety, all the while promoting relaxation.
- Frankincense – Frankincense essential oil comes from the resin of the Bosswellia tree native to the mountain ranges in Asia. It has a woody and spicy scent that can be inhaled, ingested as a supplement, or applied topically. When applied topically, it is known to treat and cure dry skin, while reducing the appearance of wrinkles and age spots. When inhaled, it can help with asthma and other such conditions.
- Lemon and Orange – Citrus oils including Lemon and Orange are great to bring a sense of freshness to yourself and your surroundings. Lemon Essential Oil is known to help fight against depression, relieve symptoms of exhaustion, provides anti-infammatory and anti-bacterial benefits, as well as helps achieve clear skin. Similarly, Orange essential oil is used for its cirtus-y fresh fragrance that lifts the mood and changes the vibe in any room. It is also known for reducing stress, provide relief from pain, is antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory, and also has some anti-cancer properties. Both these oils can be applied topically when diluted, as well as diffused and inhaled through the air.